We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Hi - we will be in Girdwood for a couple of nights later this month. We usually eat in, and I noticed there's a Safeway in Girdwood. Can someone tell me if it's got a wide range of food (meat, fish, bakery, veg's fruit, etc.)? We will be arriving from Seward, and I'm very familiar with that store. If the Girdwood store is just minimally stocked, then I would shop in Seward instead. I was hoping to buy fresh salmon for our dinner :)

Any first-hand experience greatly appreciated - thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

I don't know of any Safeway in Girdwood. There's a Crow Creek Mercantile (maybe they've an affiliation of some sort). I'd say grocery-wise, they'd be a minimalist. Check them out on google maps here:

http://goo.gl/maps/HZcjR

or give them a call & ask:

(907) 783-3900

North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Thank you. I just called; they're definitely on the minimalist side.

No deli; no fish, no meat, etc.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Looked at the map and I think Crow Creek Mercantile is where the old Eagle store was which I think at one time was an affiliate of Safeway. That may be where the confusion is.

Salton City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

The Mercantile is a Safeway/Carrs store. You can use your Safeway savings card here. The owner told me it is the smallest Safeway in the country.

They do have fresh produce, and fresh meat, just not a huge selection. They have organic foods as well.

They've got a few items that are hot and ready to eat by the register.

I've found anything I've looked for while shopping here. They also rent movies and have a liquor store attached to the store.

Kinda pricey, almost $9.00 for a 12 pack of soda, It's cheaper at the gas station when you first come into town. It would be a lot cheaper to stock up at Walmart in Anchorage before coming.

I am currently in Girdwood and will be for a few more weeks so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Great info. Tks for the post.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Don't forget to bring growlers to stop by the new brew bar there!: http://labodegastore.com/growler_bar

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

If you want really fresh seafood, stop at J dock seafood in Seward before you leave Seward. Prices were not inexpensive, but quality was outstanding

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Crow Creek Mercantile hasn't changed all that much in my years of patronage going back to, perhaps, the late sixties. It is more of a convenience store with liquor on the south side, but it has saved me many a drive back to Anchorage over the years. They have more grocery items than you would expect. Carr's acquired them at some point, and Safeway inherited them from Carr's, but they are not a supermarket. All in all, they do a heck of a good job providing as much selection as they do for a small, neighborhood store. If I'm in Girdwood, I almost always stop by for something.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

We shop at the Safeway/Carrs in Homer all the time and have never seen fresh salmon. Frozen, yes

Girdwood, Alaska
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safeway supermarket in Girdwood?

Yes it is affiliated with Safeway/Carrs. This a great small town grocery. But this is not a full size grocery. For the most part you can get anything you need.