We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in the Glennallen area

Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in the Glennallen area

We will be driving from Anchorage and looking to stay in the area for one night before continuing north towards the Denali Highway. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, any hints on interesting sights along Route 1 from Anchorage would also be appreciated. We will be traveling in early June 2014.

7 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,197 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

Hi consultant and welcome to TA-AK, I've noticed you have several questions/threads posted regarding your AK trip. Most posters/readers on the AK forum prefer that you contain all of your questions in one thread (keeps things neat/organized) and readers aren't looking elsewhere for info. &/or repeating themselves.

Why don't you take a minute and tell us about your trip, who's traveling, timeframe, likes/dislikes, etc. and everybody can start from there.

tks,

Scott

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

The Copper River Princess Lodge is in the Glennallen area. You are traveling early enough in the season that they might have some deals.

The other hotel I know of is the Caribou. http://www.caribouhotel.com/

Edited: 13 January 2014, 17:52
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

Oh, and I was going to mention... Most Alaskans refer to the roads by their names, not the numbers. In fact most of us do not even know how the highways are numbered....

So "Route 1" from Anchorage to Glennallen would be the Glenn Highway. It's a National Scenic Byway. The Matanuska Glacier is a popular stop.

It sound like from your various threads you'll be covering quite a bit of ground. I think it would be a good idea for you to get a copy of the Milepost. www.TheMilepost.com In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

In the Matanuska Glacier area, I would recommend staying here - lovely place with incredible views.

http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

For more to do in this area, check out this webpage: http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

I have stayed at The Caribou and I really can't recommend it. Sawing Logz B&B is nice but it has been a few years since I have been there, I like the Copper River Princess first for price and second for location. It is a Princess Lodge so you get the cruise people but it has great views, some nice trails and a pretty good bar/restaurant on site. IT is the smallest Princess Lodge in Alaska.

Glennallen, Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

http://glennallenresort.com/

The Glennallen Rustic Resort is great!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in the Glennallen area

Welcome to the forum, Rebecca.

Honestly, places like that turn me off from the get-go. "Please call for our current rates and cancellation policy." How hard is it to post a cancellation policy in writing? That is the main turnoff. Then not even giving a hint as to prices - what are they trying to hide? I would consider them only as a last resort (no pun intended) unfortunately.

Reply to: Lodging in the Glennallen area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glennallen