We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

I've heard there are Big Horn Sheep in the Haines area. Any suggestions on where's the best place to go to have a chance to get close enough to photograph them?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

Carmen

I have not seen the big horn sheep here near Haines, but over the Canadian border north of Haines.......probably a 2-hour trip each way......you would need binoculars to see them up near the mountain tops and a zoom lens to photograph them......you can also see quite a few of them at Sheep Mountain about 1/2 hour west of Haines Junction and if you are patient (and lucky) enough you can hike from the trail head a maybe see them closer..... they are really neat to watch in the early summer to see the "kids" frolicking about on the hillside.....

The trip up across the border is just beautiful in September when the trees are vibrant yellows and oranges.......just be sure to bring a passport so you can cross the border (new rules, even for us who live up here).......

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

Even the Sheep Mountain area will be poor viewing for the next year or so, as there is heavy blasting going on for road construction ( http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=126 ). It's supposed to be finished by lambing time in the spring, but it may already have thrown the sheep off their normal routine. They can often be seen right on the road in the spring and early inter, but summer viewing is at a great distance (and the mountain is closed to hiking to protect them).

Murray

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

Murray beat me to it...

The last goats and Dahl Sheep I saw up close were 10' above the road just north of Haines. The mountain pass driving out of Skagway has also been good for photos: charter-alaska.com/Alaskan_Marine_Adventures…

-Case

4. Re: Big Horn Sheep near Haines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:16