We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't leave your manners at home

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Don't leave your manners at home

Saw it again last week when we had a cruise ship in town.....tourist walking across someone's lawn to peak into the window of a private residence.....keep in mind that the port towns your ship is stopping in are real towns, people actually live here, work here and raise their children here.....have heard from several people that they have been surprised by folks coming onto their decks, looking in windows and even walking right into front doors "to see how real Alaskans live"......most of us will be glad to speak with tourists and answer questions, but please remember to behave like you would at home.....

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

"...tourist walking across someone's lawn to peak into the window of a private residence"

Now that's not just rude, it's outright silly. What did they expect to see?

Oh, wait, I know! They were trying to see if the outside of the house was just a Hollywood facade, inside of which would be the igloo you folks actually live in. :-P

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Well Mombear, that just really takes the cake....what is this world coming to????

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Oh my gosh, how horrible!!! I think some people view Alaskans as they would aliens, that Alaskans live totally different lives than the rest of us!!! These people probably need to do some homework.

As mentioned above,Alaskans live, work, raise kids who go to school and participate in sports, go to Walmart, church, social functions, etc. just like the rest of us, some things are just accomplished in a little different manner either because of weather or distance.

Unfortunately, it's all about education or lack thereof, I'm not so sure you'd want some of those people to behave as they do at home (maybe that's what they are doing!!!).

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Maybe they were trying to see what kind of foreign currency Alaskans use. I know I have seen that question and one about needed a passport to go to Alaska before.

Too bad for some bad-mannered people. Thanks for bringing it up.

John

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Gees, mombear, that is extremely rude. Perhaps some of these people may think that Haines is some sort of display village as part of the cruise? Along with the "Alaska experience" of the jewelery shops in other ports. Yuck. How ignorant can people be.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

fortunately there are only a few who seem to forget where they are, but there are a vast range of experiences that you can enjoy with locals while walking around town.....see someone with a lovely garden who is out in their yard, stop by and chat....see a native person carving a pole or stretching a hide, they would probably be glad to answer any questions you have, after you first ask if you can come onto the porch to see what they were working on........we have encountered folks while returning home with our boat who have asked what we caught, hubby is always glad to climb in and display what he has caught that particular day......

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Ugh, they also probably don't realize how many Alaskans keep a gun handy.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

oh, 1stimestar, you have me laughing!! Yes, most wouldn't realize that gun isn't just for display purposes and would be loaded. :)

I know a few of my co-workers/neighbors have had folks camping in their driveways . . . cause it just looks like open wilderness to many travelers.

mombear - glad you posted . . . guess it is time for yard signs in the area "we are not part of your cruise ship tour - real home/real people here". Good luck! :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

>>Ugh, they also probably don't realize how many Alaskans keep a gun handy.

My niece and I arrived VERY late to our lodging near Fairbanks last March. Between a scheduled late arrival then a huge snowstorm in Fairbanks, we didn't get to our lodging until after 1am. Knocking on the door and ringing the doorbell brought the son of the owner to the door, carrying a gun :-)

John

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't leave your manners at home

Lol you guys are cracking me up. I'd be of mind to scare the begesus out of someone. Bear suit anyone?