We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,373 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

I will be in Haines (hi mombear!) the week of Thanksgiving with some family members. We would like to take a 1 hour flight over Glacier Bay. The above two flightseeing companies will be about the same price for the three of us.

Any personal experiences or thoughts on either one? Both seem to be smaller outfits with a single pilot.

Thanks!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

Hi John

No body has answered your question yet.......I have not flown with either, but I asked around yesterday......the consensus is they are both very safe and dependable and both "nice guys" "good people"........maybe you will have time to meet with them both prior to booking, to decide which one you personally like better, or take a look at both planes to see if one may be more comfortable, bigger windows or something......

One thing I can say from experience on taking a small plane from here to Juneau about this time of year, is that the plane we were in was really really cold inside and the pilot gave us all blankets and earplugs because of the noise......you might want to ask both pilots about that.....

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

I know someone who took a flight to Glacier Bay with Drake and he was very happy with this flight.

Park City
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

I have friends that live in Haines that love flying with Paul of Mountain Flying Service.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

Drake was the pilot who was followed on the NatGeo show "Alaska Wing Men" in the most recent season.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 11:44
McCall, Idaho
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

Mountain Flying Service obviously has the experience!Tthey also fly a brand new purpose built bush plane made in Canada....new equipment, well maintained, very safe...big windows comfortable seats. Paul is a highly experienced professional! Only one choiice in my book...

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,373 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

Wow mike c I am impressed. Just joined TA this week and found this thread to make your first post. With all due respect, your post sounds like an advertisement rather than a recommendation. In any case, welcome to TA.

Having said that, we ended up not going flightseeing. It snowed every day we were in Haines. Went to the eagle preserve two days, had a great Thanksgiving relaxing where we stayed and stayed in town the other two days.

Fairbanks, Alaska...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

After living in Haines and seeing all the reality tv filmed there. Don't let the tv persuade you. It's all scripted hype. If you want to go flightseeing you decide what will be enjoyable. Not just I went with this company cause they were on tv. I have an opinion on who's better, but you need to check out the planes, talk to the pilots and see what works for you. Don't let the price decide for you. You can get what you pay for. Less is sometimes less.

8. Re: Fly Drake? Mountain Flying Service? Any thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42