We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remembering Haines 40 year ago!

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Remembering Haines 40 year ago!

I worked at Rainbow Glacier Camp in the early 70's and lived just outside of town during the time camp wasn't in session. We also spent some time at the Welcome Station at the Border. We'll be in Haines for just a day the first of June and I'm hoping to get a chance to show my husband Rainbow Glacier. I would imagine the camp is quite different now. What would be the best way to get there from the ship? I've also been thinking about some of the nice people I met then...Hans Hebert family, Rev. Henry Hartmann family, L.A. Bennett family, and I think John Schnable might have been the mayor then. I recognized his name immediately on Gold Rush. Are any of those folks or their families still living in Haines? .

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remembering Haines 40 year ago!

Welcome to the forum sewmuch........

I think the best way for you to get out to the camp would be to rent a car for your day in Haines......you can make arrangements to have the rental car delivered to the dock.......try to get one with unlimited mileage.......

Here is the contact information for the camp...... you would probably need permission to drive out there http://www.rainbowglaciercamp.com/

I don't see a cruise ship on the 2012 schedule that docks the first of June......will you be coming over from Skagway ??.....

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remembering Haines 40 year ago!

Thanks, mombear! I'll check into the car rental. I'm sorry to have misled you on the date we'll be in Haines. I was generalizing. We're traveling with Holland America and will be there on May 30, I believe. One name that had escaped me until now...Carl Heinmiller who wore a black eye patch. I believe he was instrumental in turning the old Army base into a tourist attraction and native American cultural center. A couple of our team members were honored to be allowed to dance in the Tglingit program one evening. Planning this trip is bring back many fond memories of a wonderful summer for a 19 year old! Please correct me if I am not remembering correctly.

3. Re: Remembering Haines 40 year ago!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:42