We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to downtown - choices?

Level Contributor
216 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to downtown - choices?

We will be traveling in June on the ferry from Skagway to Bellingham. I understand there is a 2.5 hour stop in Haines.

How would we get from the Ferry terminal to Downtown? What would it cost? Same price to return?

Thanks

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

I'd contact these guys: haines.ak.us/ms-lucy-taxi-courier-service

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

Mombear should be around soon and because she lives in Haines she has the most detailed answer for you. Meanwhile check the link provided in post #1. I heard of Ms. Lucy but have no personal experience.

What time is your ferry scheduled to arrive in Haines? I wouldn't go to Haines at night when everything is closed. I remember our ferry arrived late from Skagway and departed for Bellingham almost at midnight. That was a very long sailing to Bellingham. I have to remember never sail from Haines to Bellingham without stopping in at least 2-3 destinations for 3-4 days in each since I always loved shorter sections of traveling on the ferry. I hope you're planning to visit a number of interesting communities on longer stops than just a couple of hours. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 14:30
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

Places is right, if you get into Haines late there will be nothing open, but you could ask the taxi driver to just give you a mini tour of the town and surroundings if it is still light.........maybe a drive around Fort Seward, out to the Letnikof Cannery, out to Chilkoot Lake and return to the ferry.........town is about 5 miles from the ferry terminal....Miss Lucy is the only taxi in town at this time.......

Level Contributor
216 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

Thanks to you both. A taxi tour bight be worth it. I sent an email to them.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

Just make sure your ferry is there during a day not night when it's dark outside. Enjoy it! BTW, you got three answers

Edited: 26 March 2012, 17:03
Level Contributor
216 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

Places, you are right. Thanks to both of the three of you. :-)

6:45-9:15P. But isn't it light all the time there in the summer? Just kidding! It should be light out most, if not all of the time we'll be there.

7. Re: Ferry to downtown - choices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:16