We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bald Eagle Festival

Deurningen, The...
13 posts
Save Topic
Bald Eagle Festival

Hi,

Currently in Homer.

Is it worth it going all the way to Haines for the Bald Eagle Festival??

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

I was at the festival twice and been back in November after that on my own. Going again in 3 weeks. Great opportunity to see eagles for sure.

How much timr do you have? You can combine it with a trip to Juneau too.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 06:22
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

Only you can decide if it is "worth it"......

Here is more information on the activities this year http://www.baldeagles.org/festival

If you do decide to come, book your accommodations as soon as you can.......it is a busy time here during the festival......when the hotels and B&B's sell out the Visitors Center usually has a list of back up places to stay in private homes........

Do check the ferry schedule closely as we are going into winter and do not have the ferries running on a daily basis........ Oh, and bring your long johns......got our first freeze last night......

Deurningen, The...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

Thanks for the information!!

Is flying the best option?? I have been already in Juneau a couple of years ago.

Is it (too) risky to go by rental car??

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

You can't drive to Haines from Juneau......only way is the ferry or by air......

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

http://www.haines.ak.us/air We usually use Wings of Alaska when flying.....

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

He said he is currently in Homer. Sure you can drive, but it is a very long way from Homer to Haines (and back). Probably not worth it unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

Right John......975 mile drive (one way) Shep......

Deurningen, The...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

But John, you said you're going in 3 weeks but that's after the festival??

Is the festival nothing special??

There is not a big difference in price flying/ferry or a rental car.

I know it's a long drive but I have time and I can enjoy the scenery.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

The Festival is OK, but then you get larger crowds in the bald eagle preserve. I prefer the quieter time after the festival myself. The festival is great if you want more structure/activities (they have some activities, especially in the evenings - see the bald eagle festival's website). But for me, I like to be in the preserve for 5-6 hours (9-10am until 3pm). Then head back to my lodging, download photos and just kick back. Maybe walk around town or whatever. I don't need the surrounding activities of the festival at this point, though I enjoyed the festival the two times I went for it.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

Yes, the eagles will be out on the Chilkat until February........for any intrepid souls who want to venture out on our snowy winter days.......I'm partial to the swans that also spend their winters on the river......the river for the most part will be frozen over with just a few spots of open water and there will be the swans, swimming gracefully among the ice chunks.........

Deurningen, The...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bald Eagle Festival

I prefer also the quiter time so I can go whenever I want.

Thanks for all the information!!