We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healy or Talkeetna?

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Healy or Talkeetna?

What are the pros & cons of lodging in either Healy or Talkeetna?

Are Talkeetna views of McKinley worth staying the further distance from Denali Park (which we plan to tour by shuttle inbetween our overnight stays)?

18 replies to this topic
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

Ed, what kind of lodging options are you looking for? Each couple their own room? Shared rooms? There are some cabins that offer a couple bedrooms and some others that are their own small unit- you could each get your own and have plenty of privacy while staying near each other. Just depends on where exactly you decide to stay. I'd go with Healy as well simply because it's easier park access and offers a wider variety of lodging choices.

My folks liked the salmon they had (two years in a row) at the dinner theater thing in Glitter Gulch just north of the park entrance. 229 Parks would have both on their menu, I'm betting, but if last Summer is anything to go by, look into setting up reservations to eat there a day or two before if you can. I even got same day reservations on a weekday, but that was closer to Labor Day when things were winding down.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

If you give me some specifics, I would be happy to give you some recommendations for lodgings in our local area. :)

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

Last summer I stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy & would stay there again. Nice rooms, great view of Otto Lake, & very close to the Black Diamond Grill. I had halibut there & at the Salmon Bake at Glitter Gulch.

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

Thankyou so much for all your detailed & informative replies. After making a few phone calls, Ive found that many of the B&Bs are already partially booked, particularly the cheaper cabins at Denali Lakeview Inn & Aspen Haus. I at one time had considered staying at the Salmon Bake w/all it's conveniences, but decided we seniors wouldnt fit in with all the waitstaff that was said to be lodging there over the summer. Thankyou for the suggestions about great seafood. Im imagining that the salmon & halibut in Alaska will be so much more wonderful than what we get here in Kentucky! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

If Aspen Haus and Lakeview are booked, there are several other places I could recommend. :)

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

Thanks coal miner. I've tentatively booked the more expensive suites at Aspen Haus. Still looking for something comfy under $140 p/n tho.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

I saw a thumbs up from coalminer the other day for Ridgetop Cabins so I've made a note of it..

http://www.alaskaone.com/ridgetop/

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Healy or Talkeetna?

AvianQuest: that was the BEST review of all the great places to catch views (& hopefully great photos) of Mt.McKinley. Thankyou so much for the vivid details & MM stops along the way. I took over 1000 photos of our 1 week visit to the Hawaiian Islands. No doubt the Alaskan views will inspire such glorious excess! :-)

Reply to: Healy or Talkeetna?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Healy
Recent Conversations