We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

I'll be driving from Seward to Homer in late May. Are there any sights along the way that we should stop to see?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

I would highly recommend a Milepost so you can decide before you get here what you would like to stop and see. One of my favorite stops between Seward and Homer is the little town of Ninilchik - they have a very quaint Russian Orthodox church that looks over the ocean - very scenic! Maybe stop for lunch here - some great clam chowder near the beach. And there is a DQ in Soldotna! :)

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
127 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

One of the most scenic areas is the Cooper Landing area. The Kenai Lake is a brilliant turquoise and you can watch folks fishing for grayling in it. There's a boat launch just after you cross the bridge, where you can stop and have a picnic lunch, or just take the short walk on the boardwalk.

A little further down the road, you'll see the ferry launch that takes fishermen across the river when the salmon are running. The salmon won't be running until mid-late June, so I doubt there'll be much activity here. It's a pretty spot though, as it's where the Kenai River and the Russian River join up.

In Soldotna, near the visitor center, is an old pioneer town with log cabins labeled with information about the homesteaders who built and lived in them. You can walk to it on a path through a treed area near the visitor center. (Lots of info to be picked up at the VC too). I'd take the spur road to the city of Kenai (it's a huge loop that connects back up to the Sterling Hwy - check your map) and stop into the visitor center there too. There's a museum inside with some neat historical things (if you're into stuff like that), and a short walk/drive away is the old Kenai townsite, with some historical buildings and a beautiful Russian Orthodox Church.

I agree with the recommendation to check out the Ninilchik Russian Orthodox Church - especially if you're into photo ops. It's one of the most photographed churches in AK. When the mountains across the inlet are out, they make a beautiful backdrop, and you can get a bird's eye view of the town of Ninilchik below. We've seen eagles hanging out in this area too. ~Susan

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

if you have a little time, you could go into the town of Kenai to one of the very few sand beaches in Alaska. very pretty views and nice beachcombing. it is a free public access beach.

There is also Russian River Falls for a couple mile hike on gravel trail. also in Kenai, I believe.

One other photo op is in Anchor Point. On the right side of the highway, there is a sign marking the most western highway point in North America.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

Hi!

Russian River Falls is on the Kenai Peninsula but not the town of Kenai. We Alaskans use the word Kenai interchangeably and confuse you! The peninsula is the Kenai.

Russian River Falls has a trailhead in Russian River Campground around mile 52 of the Sterling Hwy, just past the tiny town proper of Cooper Landing. Since late May is off-season for the salmon run, it will be easy to drive right in to the trailhead parking rather than face long lines.

It's a delightful, easy hike with a great chance to see brown bears fishing during a salmon run.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

Have either breakfast, lunch, or dinner, at Gwins lodge in Cooper Landing.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

My recommendation is to have the smoked salmon chowder at Gwin's- even just a cup of it- it's heavenly & worth the wait! Have a cold one in the bar if there is a wait.

http://www.gwinslodge.com/

7. Re: Seward - Homer Drive: Sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Homer