We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halibut fishing in fall

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Halibut fishing in fall

We are planning a visit to Homer in Sept 09. Our visit this June got cut short due to a death in the family and next Sept is the only time we can fit in to finish our vacation. How is halibut fishing then? We did go to go halibut fishing in Seward in June and had such a great time that we cant wait to go again. Will we be able to in September? Also, what kind of weather should we expect. Thanks.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

June is a prime halibut fishing month. Sept should still see some but usually not near as good June as they are moving to deeper water for the winter. Silver Salmon will be at peak if you want to consider them.

Weather is a crap shoot...lower temps 30-50's, expect rain maybe even some light snow esp in higher elevations. I've also seen beautiful weather, 60-70 in Sept. Mother nature really does her own thing here!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

Thanks GlacierLady. Another question, please, we are planning on spending our first four nights (09/12 through 09/15/09) checking out on the 16th and we know we want to spend the last night 09/18 at the Alyeska but we still have two nights between to fill in. My husband is a big fly fisherman so we thought about either Kenai or Copper River area. Any suggestions or other ideas? We spent 4 nights in Seward and 3 nights in Talkeetna (visiting Denali) so we want to spend these other two nights somewhere different. Help, please and thanks again.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

Oops. Our first four nights will be in Homer.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

"3 nights in Talkeetna (visiting Denali)"

Ummm...you do know that most things in Denali will be shut down by mid-September, right? And that Denali NP is a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Talkeetna?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

Thanks, Manitoba Maple - What I meant to say was that we went to Seward, Talkeetna and Denali in June but when our trip got cut short due to a death in my family, we never got to go to Homer and Girdwood. This time - in September - we already have four nights in Homer and our last night in Alyeska but we still have two more days in the middle. We want to be somewhere between Homer and Anchorage and with my husband being an avid fly fisherman, we would like somewhere on the water where he can fish salmon and trout. That's whay we were thinking Kenai or Copper River - any suggestions on places where we could go for that? Thanks so much.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

OK, thanks for clarifying. :-)

Glacierlady can give you more help re the fishing since she knows a lot more about it than I do, lol. But until she returns, this might give you some ideas:

sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/weekly/KenSep.cfm

BTW, meant to say in my previous post, sincere condolences for the loss of your family member. I'm sure I speak for the other posters on TA.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

Wow, what a great link. Just what we were looking for. Thanks for your help and thanks for your kind words.

8. Re: Halibut fishing in fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 23:19