We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

Will be in Homer the end of July and want to kayak. I've never done this before and will be trafelling with 2 other adults and 2 teenagers. Suggestions on outfitters and should we do an all day tour. Really want to focus on wildlife, like Puffins and Sea Otters.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

In July 2007 I went with Seaside Adventure, it was a great experience and a lot of fun. I did the full day trip and I can positively recommend Seaside Adventure. I would love to have the opportunity to do it again. You can contact Rick with Seaside Adventure at Seasideadventure@earthlink.net. For me, Rick was always good with responding and replying to emails, and answering questions.

The morning starts out with taking a water taxi from the Homer harbour to Rick's location in a remote bay. The water taxi is arranged for you by Rick and included in your kayak cost. The water taxi ride takes about 20 min. and very scenic. Then, you meet up with Rick, and he gives you a briefing on how to get in the kayak. It's all very easy, no one ever gets wet. We saw eagles, sea otters, and a lot of underwater marine life. Kayaking is done in a calm bay, very beautiful area. Rick provides a lunch on an island, a delicious soup, made from ingredients found on the island, very delicious. All in all, kayaking was very easy, it was my first time, and can be done by anyone. Yes, I do recommend a full day, the time goes by fast, and you get to see more, and do more in this beautiful environment. I too questioned about a full day vs. half day, but so glad I choose the full day. After the kayaking, you head back to Homer via water taxi which is a great adventure in itself.

There are a lot of great restaurants in Homer to choose from. For lodging, we stayed at the Ocean House Inn which I've stayed several times before and look forward to returning. They have a hot tub overlooking the bay, Spitt, and glaciers across the bay with eagles flying overhead. For restaurants, I recommend the Homestead, Fat Olives, and Cafe Cups. Either Fresh Sourdough Express and Duncan's Diner for breakfast. In the evening, near the airport, you may be lucky and see moose along the edge of the woods.

Have fun!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

We went with True North Kayaks and had a good experience. I'd add my agreement that full day is best, especially given that there are water taxi rides each way. You'll see more, be able to have a relaxed lunch out in a quiet bay somewhere and really soak everything in.

Kachemak Bay is a wonderful place for kayaking. I hope you have a great time and see lots of sea otters!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
131 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

We took the full day kayak trip with St. Augustine's in Homer and loved every minute.

http://www.homerkayaking.com/

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

We are considering the Seaside Adventure full day trip. Are the kayaks single or double or can we choose? We have canoed before but not kayaked yet, I'm thinking I might like to try solo our first trip. This sounds like another great experience in Alaska, Thanks in advance!

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

With Seaside Adventure, I was in a single kayak. I can't say if they have double kayaks or not. Send Rick an email and he can tell you what he can offer. But, for me, I think single is the way to go.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

Hi. I have never kyaked before, and have planned a trip with Seaside adventures. Call and talk to Rick, he was very nice to me and offered to ride me in his Kyak. Joyce

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

My family and I just returned from our trip to Homer. We did the full day kayaking trip with Rick at Seaside Adventures on Tutka Bay. The day was amazing. We are a family of four: two adults and two kids ages 10 and 13. My husband was in a kayak with my daughter and I was in another kayak with my son. Rick and his assistant Marin were in a third kayak. Rick created a wonderland for us. He was a guide, naturalist, historian and chef which created wonderful memories for all of us. We can't wait to go back.

Santa Barbara, CA
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

We also went with Rick of A Seaside Adventure in June, 2009. We did the full day trip which I would recommend. He takes it slow so you can explore and see more sealife. We did not get tired nor did we get wet. Rick and Dorle are wonderful hosts. We stayed overnight in one of their cabins which had a fabulous view of the bay. We truely enjoyed our time there and would definitely recommend a Seaside Aventure.

9. Re: Suggest Outfitter for Sea Kayaking in Homer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:16