We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear viewing tours

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bear viewing tours

Hi,

We are going to Homer the end of August and I am looking for recommendations on the various guides. I've seen Emerald Air highly recommended, but they are not available. Does anyone know or have experience with AK Adventures or Bald Mountain Air? I can't seem to find any reviews on either of them.

Thanks so much

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear viewing tours

Bald Mountain Air has been mentioned favorably on the boards in the past. Another one mentioned a lot is Rust's but they might only fly from Anchorage - I am not sure about that.

If it is a day tour, check out how long your actual bear viewing time is and where you are going. For example, Brooks Falls at Katmai has their peak in July and September. Rust's has a good "calendar" on their site - www.flyrusts.com/alaska-bear-viewing.html

John

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear viewing tours

We are scheduled with Bald Mountain Air in late August and have been very happy with their customer service, website information and recommendations. One of my empoloyees grew up in Homer and he checked with several friends and they all recommended Bald Mountain.

With that said my first choice was Emerald but one of our traveling companions can not fit into the "waders/boots" that are necessary to wear.

If you have a chance rent IMAX Bears...the section with grizzilies was filmed with the owners of Emerald Air in Katmai..........beautiful images.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear viewing tours

Thanks all for your feedback.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear viewing tours

I've gone with Bald Mountain Air, therefore and I can only comment on them. Bald Mountain Air was fantastic. I had such a wonderful experience. I've been with them twice, once in June, once in July to Brooks Falls. I hear August is good too. I don't know if they do this on all trips, but on the way back to Homer on each trip, we were given a scenic tour, once over a mountain to get close to Carabou, and once over a glacier which was spectacular. I feel safe and confident with Bald Mountain. I give them my highest recommendation with enthusiasm. I can't wait to do it again. Bear tours out of Homer are a unforgettable experience. I hope you get to go, and speak up to ask to sit by the pilot for the best view.

5. Re: Bear viewing tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 07:17