We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

We are planning our second visit to Alaska for September 2010.

We're going to be hiring a car to travel around. During our trip, we will be staying near Seward for a few days (Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge) and then will be driving to Homer.

Is there anywhere worth staying at on the way to Homer, or should we just drive directly there making brief stops on the way to see the sights? We will probably spend 2 nights at Homer, but are flexible if more or less time is needed there. (We've been to Seward before but not to the Homer area).

We're keen photographers and wildlife watchers but not too worried about fishing, if that helps!

Homer Spit
Beaches, Biking Trails
Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center
Natural History Museums, Visitor Centres
Pratt Museum
Speciality Museums
Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies
Educational sites, History Museums, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

If you liked to fish, I would tell you to stop in the Soldotna/Kenai area, but it isn't that long of a drive and Homer is very beautiful - so I would just head to Homer for your overnight and enjoy the drive. :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

If it were me I'd go straight to Homer.

Maybe a detour along Skilak lake rd, depending on what your driving.. it's a gravel road and I recommend a 4 wheeler esp in the spring.

If you like BBQ/smoked ribs/beef etc,.. Black Jaxx right across from the Harley Shop, a mile before Soldotna and next to an ice cream cone and a carved wooden animal carousel, sits a little silver trailer. Yum Yum!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

We like the Cooper Landing area, smooth water float ride on Kenai, relatively casual hike to Russian River Falls, hike to Skilak Lake lookout or horseback ride are a few things to do.

http://www.alaskahorsemen.com/info.html

alaskarivertrips.com/kenai-river-scenic-floa…

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

That's very helpful, thanks all. And my mouth's watering thinking of bbq ribs now!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

Yup, my little secret place has now been revealed... They have fantastic bbq which can be bought as a meal with beans, coleslaw, potatoe salad or by the #. It's all awesome and I'm soo looking forward to them reopening soon as they close for the winter.

Get a copy of the Milepost Book for detailed mile by mile road info.

I look forward to your trip report.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

Obviously if you are renting a car in Seward you must be arriving on a cruise ship. Homer is only 175 miles (give or take) and you could easily drive straight through. But, if you don't mind the price stop at Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge at Cooper Landing (you don't have to be on a Princess Cruise-tour to stay there. We like it, and we will be there in June for our 48th wedding anniversary. And, when you come over the rise on the Sterling Hwy outside of Homer take in the view. Then you will see why we moved here from California!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

k2iks, welcome to Alaska & to TA! You are so lucky to be out East End Rd., Fritz Creek! What glorious views of K. Bay!

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

Thanks K2iks, and happy anniversary for June! In answer to your comment - no, we're not on a cruise ship. We're touring around independently, starting in Anchorage and Palmer (Alaska State Fair) and then driving down to Seward for a couple of nights at the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, then Homer, then either Lake Clark or Katmai, and ending up back in Anchorage (for a drink or two at Humpy's, our favourite bar!).

Should be a great couple of weeks, it's been four years since our last Alaska visit, so I can't wait to come back. I'm so jealous of you guys who are there year round!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

I assume you are aware that you cannot drive to Lake Clark or Katmai and must fly. Regarding our living here we made our 2nd visit to Alaska in 1994 which included Homer. We made a winter visit three years later and wound up buying 5 acres in the Homer area six months later and finally building last year. But, what's stopping you from relocating as there is a lot of good property up here. And, the WX is very agreeable.

John

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anywhere worth an overnight stop between Seward and Homer?

Sounds wonderful - maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a few acres of land too!