We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

My husband and I are due to stay in Homer for 3 nights in early September after a 2 nights of bear viewing in Lake Clark.

We would preferably like a small rental home or B&B in a quiet-ish location but close to town if this is possible (walking distance to restaurants etc. would be great but not essential). But our main criteria is to have a great view of Kachemak bay.

Any suggestions on the best area / places to stay in Homer to get the best of both worlds?

thanks everyone!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

Well, it's not a rental or a B&B, but you might consider the beachfront section of Ocean Shores Motel. I stayed there last year, great view of the bay and access to the beach right from the motel if you don't mind a bit of a steep descent. It's just a block away from Fat Olive's restaurant, and other restaurants are within driving distance.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

If you want a great view of the bay you will need to drive. You could stay at Timber Bay B&B about 14 miles from the blinker light in Homer. Don prepares a great breakfast. The elevation is around 1300 feet. Drive down to Fritz Creek and you can dine in one of the best restaurants anywhere, The Homestead. The Fritz Creek Store makes great sandwiches.

Another choice would be Land's End, but be sure to request a larger bay view room. Homer has a fine selection of restaurants. Personally, I don't care for Fat Ollive's but other locals do.

Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

We will be in Alaska in early August and have made reservations in Homer at Crane's Rest B & B. Although the guest bedrooms are on the lower floor, we will have access to the kitchen, dining room and large deck on the upper floor. The photos taken from that area that are posted on their website show a fantastic view of Kachemak Bay with Grewingk glacier and the Kenai mountain range in the background. We thought the price is reasonable, and the reviews I checked were good. Their webpage URL is: www.cranesrest.com

Bev

east texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

We stayed at the Beachhouse B & B. It was great. The Compass Rose Quarters is a separate house that overlooks the Bay. If you are lookking for great views, great hosts, and a beautiful and relaxing place to stay check them out. We loved it. Margie

PA
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

We just got back from Alaska and loved our stay in Homer! The Driftwood Inn has two new lodges with a fantastic view of the bay and beach access. My husband and daughter got to frolic on the beach with two bald eagles. The Inn is clean and reasonable and you get to share a huge kitchen and full LR with only 3 other rooms -- both of these rooms have a panoramic view of the bay and mountains (we only had to share with one other couple). You are also within walking distance of Fat Olives and a really cute part of town.

Make sure you buy a Great Alaskan TourSaver book -- we saved hundreds of dollars -- look on ebay at this time and you will be sure to find a bargain on a used one!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

Land's End with a water view, and some come with small terraces.

Very beautiful, Have Fun !!!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

Since the original post was back in June, you may have already made your reservations.....but for anyone else looking for a good view, very quiet location and small rental home, I would highly recommend this rental.....

http://www.vrbo.com/120890 The rental rate is affordable and the cabin offers many things that motels do not....full kitchen, bbq, private hot tub and laundry facilities......

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

http://www.alaskansuites.com/

sits on a hill overlooking the bay and the spit. great cabins, very well appointed, roomy

9. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 15:05
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location in Homer for accommodation with a great view?

Brigitte, I don't think it's kosher to promote your own business on this forum.......

Get answers to your questions about Homer