We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
216 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Hi,

We are planning our first trip to Alaska in June 2011 and will be in Homer for 3 nights. We are going to Hallo Bay bear watching hopefully on the first day, but have been told that the trip often gets cancelled because of the weather, so we should allow an extra day as a back up. My question therefore is, what is there to do in Homer on our spare day, or possibly two days, bearing in mind that we won't be able to book anything in advance and it will probably be a last minute decision? We are particulary interested in hiking, wildlife and scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

When I go to Homer it's to halibut fish. The company I go with has bigger boats (but still limit themselves to 6 people per boat max) so they can go out further than the other companies and get the big fish.

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

There are museums, short boat trips to Seldovia, the Alaska Islands and Oceans Visitor Center, hiking, clamming.

If you google Homer Ak lots of info is available. For instance:

http://www.akms.com/

www.homeralaska.org/visitHomer/index.htm

Also, on the Alaska forum page there's a section on the right called Top Questions about Alaska. You'll find a link to the trip reports submitted so far this summer. I'm sure there have been a few travefllers to Homer.

Mentioned in this post
The Alaska Beach House
The Alaska Beach House
227 Reviews
Homer, AK
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Homer is one of most beautiful seaside towns in Alaska - I think you will be happy just roaming around. Eat out often - Homer has some of the best food restaurants in the state. :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

You can always check with the water taxis to see what trips they already have planned. They're always dropping off/picking up hikers and kayakers around the bay. Or go with Rainbow Tours to Seldovia for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Tours
Rainbow Tours
154 Reviews
Homer, AK
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Homer is one of my favorite places to visit. It certainly is one of the most beautiful places in Alaska. You can spend a day on the spit, shopping, eating, and eagle watching. You'll get some amazing eagle pictures while you are there. You can drive up to scenic drive for a magnificent view of the spit and surrounding mountains. There is a park up there too, for hiking (I think you can hike). The Danny J to Halibut Cove is usually booked a few days in advance, but you could take a water taxi over there. Seldovia is a longer trip and you will see more sea life - we saw two pods of killer whales - magnificent - on our trip over there. The Pratt museum is good as is the Ocean center. You can hike down to the beach from the Ocean center. You can drive up to Anchor Point (about 10 miles). The drive is so beautiful and so is the anchor river. There is a beautiful Russian church too. Eating in Homer is great! There are lots of great restaurants, e.g., Captain Pattie's (my favorite place for halibut and chips), Fat Olives, Homestead, Cafe Cups, and Cosmic Kitchen to name a few. There's a little ice cream shop on the spit with the best huckleberry ice cream!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Pratt Museum
Pratt Museum
332 Reviews
Homer, AK
Cafe Cups
Cafe Cups
410 Reviews
Homer, AK
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Beluga Slough & adjacent Bishop's Beach is a great bird sanctuary.

Don't miss Ninilchik with the Russian church just north of town.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

The Homestead is a very fine dining restaurant, but not really in Homer. It is about 8.5 miles out East End Road at Fritz Creek, across from the general store. Be sure to visit the store which is an amazing piece of old Alaska!

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Warwickshire
Level Contributor
216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Rainbow Tours trip to Seldovia sounds good, if it's available without booking in advance. It sounds as if we won't be short of good places to eat. Are there any hiking trails from Homer itself, without having to go to Kachemak Bay?

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Tours
Rainbow Tours
154 Reviews
Homer, AK
east texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Go to the Norman Lowell Art Gallery just outside Homer. It is well worth it.

austin
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Days in Homer - What to do?

Your response was very helpful. I am in Austin also and planning a June 2011 drive tour. Would love to connect. There will be 3 of us traveling- in 60s.