We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming family vacation Aug 2011

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llano, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming family vacation Aug 2011

Hi, we are an active family of 7, who will be traveling to Alaska in Aug 2011 to celebrate our oldest son's graduation from college. All "kids" in their 20's, very active and fit, and we are in our mid 50's. We kayak, camp, fish, and are active lovers of the beautiful outdoors. It will be the first time for the kids; we took a cruise/land vacation for our 25th anniversary with friends several years ago. We are planning to fly into Anchorage, and renting transportation and a house, possibly in Homer. We are planning to stay a week. Any activity suggestions would be appreciated. How many hours drive to Denali? Fishing Guides? If we do rent a house, are there any activities that would be free or low cost on our "rest" days? We are just beginning to plan - I envy the poster that has it already down pat! We are from Texas, too.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Upcoming family vacation Aug 2011

>>If your family amounts to seven I can't imagin all in a single RV. Won't that be cramped? As for other transportation best would be two cars. Some will suggest a minivan.

It appears the suggestion was for "RV's" (plural). Even if they end up renting minivanss, they wold almost certainly need two for both people and luggage.

The only way to know which might be a better value is to crunch the numbers.

>>Alaska is so huge, though, I don't want it to turn into one long drive.

The fact that Alaska is huge makes the case for not staying in one place. Certainly you are not going to get to go everywhere in Alaska during your trip. But with a week, you can certainly visit 2 or possibly 3 places. Homer, Seward and Denali are the most logical choices.

I am spending 10 days in Alaska next June and going to Cordova and Denali. For me, less is more. But I can't imagine a full week anywhere except Denali, and even then only if you are a big hiker or photographer.

12. Re: Upcoming family vacation Aug 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 04:05
13. Re: Upcoming family vacation Aug 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Homer