We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer

San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Homer

I will be in Homer from Aug 24th to Aug 31 2011. Does anyone know where you can go Hike and see brown bears or grizzly bears. The plane and boat trips are out of my buget. Do people do this or is it to risky? If they were fishing wouldn't they be as uninterested in humans as the ones in Katmai?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homer

Brown Bear (North of the Range)

Grizzly Bear (South of the Range)

I know you intent is to find a bunch of bears fishing but bears are not restricted to tourist viewing platforms. You be careful hiking around our woods because Mr. Bear likes to do his toiletry in the woods (yes it is true unless it is a polar bear).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homer

Are you sure? My husband rode his motorcycle from northern CA to the artic circle. He said bears do you know what in the middle of the road. He swears he saw this several times.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homer

of course it's risky! Even people on the Katmai tours must follow bear etiquette in order to avoid putting themselves and the rest of the group in danger. There are lots of bears on the Kenai Peninsula so you need to be very alert and cautious when you're walking in the woods, especially near rivers or streams. If you read thru trip reports you'll find places that people regularly see bear, or evidence of.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homer

I'd be very careful searching out bear, especially if you have a dog along. I know this from experience, as my dogs had no problem barking and lunging at one. I was freaked out!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homer

Ok, And thank you. I guess I should have been more specific about what I was hopeing for. I did the Emeral Air bear viewing last year. It was wonderful and would recomend them to anyone. Now I am returning to Homer to fish. Does anyone know of a hiking area where it is open viewing? Not a lot of trees so you don't bump into one. I asked about a river hopeing their is some fish running where they are busy fishing and eating. It's just this time there are people in the group who have never seen one in the wild, and cannot afford the float plane. I have hiked in Juneau and Denali several times and was scared about bumping into one where there isn't enough space between us. Does anyone know do they have boat trips to Katmai NP what is a good company. Maybe by boat it's more affordable. Any thought on what trails if any. The area we flew over was open with little tree cover. I know you have to watch out for them sleeping in their sunken day beds. I just prefer the open land scape. My heart rate does alittle better there then in the trees

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homer

Various trip reports mention the Fishing Hole on Homer spit. for the most part people go with charters. Do a search in the Homer forum; just type the word fishing next to the Search in box and see if anything comes up other than charters.

I remember in Soldotna there were a lot of people along the river fishing on a nice boardwalk along the river. I googled soldotna tourism and found: visitsoldotna.com/fishing/indexFishing.asp

Herer's the Fishing Hole. Google Homer tourism and Homer fishing for other possibilities.

homeralaska.com/stories/Fishing_Hole.shtml…

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homer

we were at Safeway yesterday for geezer day and picked up a copy of the 2011 Homer Visitor Guide, so they are out.

8. Re: Homer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 02:06
9. Re: Homer

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 02:06
10. Re: Homer

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 03:05