We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the ferry to Kodiak

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
the ferry to Kodiak

I see that you can take an evening ferry that is considerably less expensive. Is there anyone out there with feedback on the ferry that leaves Homer at night and arrives in Kodiak the following morning?

Homer Spit
Biking Trails, Beaches
Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center
Visitor Centres, Natural History Museums
Pratt Museum
Speciality Museums
Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies
Nature & Wildlife Areas, History Museums, Educational sites
Alaska
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

I'm not sure what kind of feedback your looking for. The ferry is probably the Tustumena, part of the State of Alaska Marine Highway System. The Tustumena has been sailing as part of the ferry system since I can remember. I first rode on it in the 1970's. Locals call it the "Trusty Tusty". My guess is that it is cheaper at night because most people want to go during the day and the ferry system wants to sell tickets on the night sailing. You can either sit up all night in some pretty big and comfortable seats or you can pay extra for a stateroom. You'll also see some people blow up their air mattress roll out their sleeping bag and sleep in some out of the way area on deck. You are not allowed to sleep in your car or RV. No passengers are allowed on the vehicle deck while the ferry is underway.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

At night you need a place to sleep. If you want a cabin it will cost you extra.

Please keep your ferry questions together.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31037-i3043-k4299…

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

Sorry to upset you with my questions. Please forgive me.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

You more or less asked these questions on another thread. Again, go to www.akmhs.com and click on Tustumena (in service since about 1964). Almost all sailings between Homer and Kodiak leave in the evening and no difference in fare prices. I believe the run from Homer to Kodiak on Saturday leaves in the morning. Check also for the Kennicott as she fills in for the Trusty Tusty are she sails to Dutch Harbor, which is a very interesting trip worth looking into. We did it in 1997 and returned to Homer and bought our property here.

John in Homer

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

When I put a fake booking in (for the other thread) I came up with two different prices. Not sure if I did it right but I was looking for the schedule not prices at the time.

You are not aggravating responders with your questions, it just easier to answer your questions if we have the entire picture. Just keep asking away on the other thread and we will try to help.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

I believe the OP is asking on 2 different forums (Homer and Kodiak) trying to get detailed information. As we all know, some TA members only monitor their "home" forum. In this case, as opposed to just posting under "Alaska", the OP may get better advice asking on both forums.

7. Re: the ferry to Kodiak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:17