We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak and Hiking day trip-Kachemak Bay State Park

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak and Hiking day trip-Kachemak Bay State Park

We will be in Homer for 2 days in mid-August, and were looking at doing some type of trip over to Kachemak Bay State Park. One of us needs a knee replacement, and the other has shoulder issues :(, so we were thinking that a combination of kayaking and hiking would work for us. I'm confused by all the options of tour/boat operators. I think we'd like to hike in the Grewingk Glacier Trail/Glacier Lake Trail area, but it looks like some of the kayaking trips are in different areas. Can anyone suggest an outfit that would do a combo like this in that area? Or maybe somewhere else would be better? The hiking needs to be fairly easy. Thanks!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak and Hiking day trip-Kachemak Bay State Park

Can think of two, and should be more. The Center of Alaskan Coastal Studies has packages from their field station at Peterson Bay. However, I don't think they cover Grewingk Glacier and you would have to do that on your own. You will need services of a water taxi.

Halibut Cove Adventures may also be an option and should include Grewingk and the trails.

All have websites. Also, be aware that Kachemak Bay State Park is mostly undeveloped and not like other state parks, such as in California. Your issues may have a factor.

Hopefully, we can get across the bay this summer and visit Grewingk Glacier. We can see the lake and creek, but not the glacier itself from our window.

John

Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak and Hiking day trip-Kachemak Bay State Park

Thanks for your reply John. I had been looking at the field station at Peterson Bay's website, and they offer hiking/kayaking with the kayaking run by St. Augustine's Kayak and Tours. St. Augustine also offers other combo tours, some that include the glacier hiking trails. Those trails sound like they'd be beautiful, but the guided hiking with the field station sounds really interesting. Just have to make up my mind between those two options I guess. I know from experience, that when trails are rated easy to moderate, I need to assume they are the more difficult of the two :), so maybe we should stick with the hike with the field station?

3. Re: Kayak and Hiking day trip-Kachemak Bay State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:19