We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best viewing for bears?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Best viewing for bears?

I hope to be in Homer for a visit in July & am a keen photographer and my dream has always been to see the bears at Brooks Falls so ideally I would like to do that unless people can convince me that Hallo Bay or Lake Clare is better. It seems that most of the operators go to the beach/meadow locations more often than not. Is it because the platforms at Brooks Falls get very crowded?

Is it true that viewing at McNeil River is only available via ballot? That at least seems comparable to Brooks Falls.

Because I am travelling alone I will pay a premium (I think) to stay at one of the lodges so was planning to do it as a day trip from Homer. But I hear the bears are more active early and late so that might ruin my chances somewhat! Bald Mountain Air has floatplanes which some people claim gives more flexibility to find the bears because they can land anywhere and are not tide dependant. Is it true?

He only has a handful of reviews though compared to Alaska Bear Adventures and Emerald Air. Also, he is the only one who states he goes to Brooks although the others have permits to do so. It seems silly to go all the way to King Salmon to pick up the more routine operators when there are operators in Homer who sometimes do it. I am coming all the way from the UK so it's a long way to come if I only get to see tiny bears far away in a meadow!

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best viewing for bears?

Did you see this in our Top Questions?

Hopefully, helpful info there is answer your questions.

tripadvisor.com/…30691705

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best viewing for bears?

This is a duplicate post with most of the answers over here:

http://tinyurl.com/8782ydv

Thanks denalicat, I don't think anyone pointed her to that link in the other post.

Imlay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best viewing for bears?

We are going to Brooks Falls July 4th. We are staying at Brooks Lodge for one night. We didn't really even consider the others because of the great reviews Katmai NP had.

London, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best viewing for bears?

Yes I had seen it and thought I'd read all the links to see if my questions were answered there before posting! Maybe I missed some.

5. Re: Best viewing for bears?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:41
Get answers to your questions about Homer