We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer this month?

Level Contributor
180 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Homer this month?

Looking at a possible quick getaway of flying into ANC Nov 16 & spending 3 days. Weather.com shows next 10 days being pretty decent, highs of 40 lows of 32. Is anything open though? Is it worth driving down to Homer for a couple of days, eating some good food & seeing some views? What's to do in November?? Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homer this month?

Go the Alaska Forum and look under Top Questions for the Resource thread. You will find a link to each town's web site which will provide you with information on activities, lodging, etc. You'll need to check the vendors that meet your interests to see if they've closed down for the season.

Or use www.kenaipeninsula.org

Level Contributor
180 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homer this month?

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately those sites are geared for general info and/or in season. They are not very helpful specific to right now. I'd love to get perspective from people there right now who know about right now.

Deurningen, The...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Homer this month?

Homer is pretty much the same as in summer but on the spit, the pub has winter opening hours and a restaurant is open and the rest is closed for the season.

Maybe you can Halibut fishing on a nice day or salmon fishing in the bay.

Mako watertaxi is still running for a day in the park, call ahead because the office is closed.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homer this month?

Personally, I would not want to risk going across the bay to Kachemak Bay Park this time of year, even though it hasn't snowed yet. The best restaurant (Homestead) is closed for the season. Islands and Oceans, and the Pratt Museum are open. The shops on the spit are closed, except for The Salty Dawg. Land's End Resort at the tip is open the year round, with some off season deals.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homer this month?

I did one winter trip for state hockey games one time - I loved it. We stayed in the downtown area - and there were still lots of good restaurants open. The weather there is much more mild than where I live, so I thought it was nice for walking around, etc. :)

6. Re: Homer this month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18