We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying fishing clothes?

missouri
Level Contributor
241 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Buying fishing clothes?

Hi, we will be in homer fishing after a 12 day trip, wondering about boots and rain gear for fishing.

Will there be a place in homer to purchase these thing, or should we check anchorage before we

Drive down? Want something inexpensive because we will leave them behind when we leave.

Want to take fish home, not clothes!

Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

What type of fishing are you talking about? Just a charter? Will you already have rain gear (I hope so because we get a lot of rain up here in the Summer!). If you already have rain gear and are out on a charter, you can just wear that. I rarely get any fish stuff on me since the crew take care of the bait and the fish when you catch it. I have gotten a bit on me when I was fixing my own bait, but I just washed my jacket- no biggie.

Boots and shoes are the same, though I do wear rain boots when I go out, but mainly because I have some with soft rubber soles that do well on wet surfaces. My parents have gone out in tennis shoes lots of times with no issues.

If you are talking about river fishing, that's a whole other matter. Those questions will start with, are you going out with a guide and where and why aren't they providing what you need.

missouri
Level Contributor
241 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

Thanks for the information, we are doing charters and in all the videos they are wearing rubber boots?

Don't have any rain gear, so will need to buy some here .just don't want tp spend a lot because won't be used again and lack of space.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

If you have a rain coat in Missouri that would work fine for Alaska. White Sierra makes a nice rain pant that is packable and lightweight. Frog Toggs are also a good choice. No reason to leave lightweight packable raingear behind. For boots you could stop at Walmart and buy some inexpensive rubber boots or just wear tennis shoes as alaskantiger has suggested.

Don't forget that layering your clothes is the best way to stay warm (and cool) in Alaska. A fleece under a lightweight waterproof layer will work well.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

There is no Walmart in Homer, so do so in Anchorage (no sales tax either) Boots or other needs are available from the Gear Shed (Redden Marine) out on East End Road

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

You could buy cheap rubber boots, but most of the charter guys will tell you if they are about to pour water on the deck to clean things off. That's about the only reason your feet get properly wet.

And I second Frogg Toggs- you can get a whole rain suit cheap online- like $30 for pants and jacket if you look around and they breath well unlike most rain suits.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

Check with your charter company and see if they have boots you can use. Some do.

missouri
Level Contributor
241 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

Ok, thanks everyone!

8. Re: Buying fishing clothes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17