We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Salmon Bakes In Jueau

Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Salmon Bakes In Jueau

Are all salmon bakes in Juneau alike? Do some offer a varied menu? Is there any entertainment? Scenery? Please help us as this is our first time to Alaska. We will be there in mid-May with another couple. We thank you for all your suggestions/comments!

Happy Trails to You!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Salmon Bakes In Jueau

Let's see... there's Orca Point Lodge which offers a whale watching/nature tour on a larger whale watch boat, then drops you at the lodge for a salmon bake lunch and some hiking trails, etc.

There's Taku Glacier Lodge which offers a fantastic flightseeing trip over the Taku River, Glacier & Valley via float plane. They then drop you at a very historic lodge with plenty to see, listen to and do (this is one of my favorites.)

There are a couple of just "salmon bakes" that operate in the summer. Most are only sold as ship excursions or at the dock kiosks. These are the school bus ride with a brief narrated tour, followed by salmon grilled outside, eating outside, etc. The "Gold Creek Salmon Bake" is one of the originals in town, but now they're at Salmon Creek, not Gold Creek.... there's still gold panning to do, etc.

If you don't want to spend the money for a boat tour or airplane ride to go with your salmon bake (ie: if you're just after a good meal with a varied menu) I'd try the Thane Ore House. Lots of fried and greasy food (when I say "greasy" I mean that in the best of ways!) If you call ahead and have a reservation, they'll usually run a shuttle out to pick you up. Couple that with a tour of the mining museum, and you've got quite a complete experience.

For pure entertainment value, many folks enjoy a BBQ sandwich at the Red Dog Saloon... but I won't digress too much. You asked specifically about salmon bakes!

2. Re: Suggestions for Salmon Bakes In Jueau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:19