We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland america cruise excursions

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
121 reviews
Holland america cruise excursions

Hi. Going to Alaska and traveling from Seward to Vancouver from sept 9-16. Stopping in Haines, Ketchikan, and Juneau. I am having trouble finding the excursions available at these 3 stops. I wonder if anyone has taken some at these locations and what would the recommend or avoid. Many thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
1. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

First, are you taking the 6 hr. Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward the day you depart? Highly recommended. The regular train from ANC to Seward is perfectly timed for that tour.

You're at the end-of-season, so some excursions might not be available. However, read through the ones offered by your cruise ship and pick out 2 or 3 for each port that sound interesting to you, then post back her for more ideas. Also mention your interests...it won't do any good to recommend fishing, for example, if you don't fish.

It would help to post a link to your cruise itinerary so we know how much time you have in each port.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

It would also help to know who is traveling, if there are mobility issues, and if there are kids, what are their ages.

Level Contributor
98 posts
863 reviews
3. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

In Juneau we did the whale watching tour on a small boat and it was well worth the money. The bus to get to the boat was in front of the cruise dock.

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

Thanks!! Appreciate your quick response.

Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

Just returned from HAL inside passage cruise out of Vancouver. We did a glacier excursion to sawyer glacier that was awesome. Saw seals, humpback and orca whales and the glacier was beautiful. If you are interested in glaciers I’d recommend a glacier-focused excursion.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

Cyndi,

The Tracy Arm excursion is not an option for HAL one-way trips like it is from Vancouver round trip cruises..

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

There are many good reviews of the Kroschel Wildlife Center in Haines. You could rent a car and explore on your own. Here is a link to many options for Haines:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g310…

Some people will take the Fast Ferry over to Skagway from Haines and take the White Pass Railroad. I suggest going with a company like Chilkoot Charters and book a tour that is train in one direction and bus in the other direction.

https://chilkootcharters.com/

For Juneau, the whale watching is a good option. Harvs and Marvs is a popular choice. There are many others.You could also rent a car and explore on your own. Many like to take a helicopter tour over the glaciers. You can also take a tour that will stop on a glacier and let you take a hike. Definitely many options.

https:/…

Ketchikan has the self guided walk through town. Pick up a brochure at one of the town kiosks when you get off the ship if that interests you. We loved the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center in downtown Ketchikan. The Misty Fiords National Monument is always a good choice for Ketchikan if it is in the budget. I suggest the combo flight in one direction and boat in the other direction. Many like Saxman Village, or Totem Bight State Historical Park. Personally we did not care for Saxman Village, but many do, so I suggest you read about it to see if it would interest you. Another popular tour in Ketchikan is the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen’s Tour. You can google any of these for more information.

Enjoy your cruise and time in Alaska! It is an amazing place.

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
121 reviews
8. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

All very helpful suggestions. What would one recommend if there are those in my small party that get sea sick on the smaller boats, ie no whale watching probably.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
9. Re: Holland america cruise excursions

Whale watching out of Juneau should be just fine. I even recall reading one vendor who used to advertise a refund if you got seasick. However, to ease their mind you may want to have them check with their doctor about what would be safe to take as a precaution.

If they are still not interested in pursuing whale watching, have them head to Mendenhall Glacier. There are shuttles or taxis to get you there and back. They have a very worthwhile visitor center to go to as well as many trails.You could also rent a car in Juneau and drive to Mendenhall and include a stop at the very tranquil setting of the Shrine of St Therese. If you are actually in Juneau long enough you could check with Adventure Bound or Allen Marine to see if they are in operation within your time at Juneau. Their tours to Tracy Arm Fjord are simply breathtaking!!! Although this tour is not known to be one causing motion sickness, I would recommend precautions for those prone to motion sickness.

Don't hesitate to split up as a group, if there are different interests. On one of our visits we went to Juneau with a group of 5. My husband and I did the all day Tracy Arm Excursion. The other three did a morning small bus tour of the Juneau area that included the shrine and Mendenhall, as well as other highlights of the downtown. In the afternoon two of them chose to go on a helicopter with two glacier landings. They did not choose the ones with the hikes. The fifth person did the whale watching. Everyone got to do what was most important to them. We did the same in Ketchikan. In the morning we did Saxman while one did Misty Fjords by plane. The other two stayed on the ship. In the afternoon, three of us went on the self-guided hike, while the other two went strolling through town.

As already mentioned you are going to Alaska very late in the tourist season and less may be available. That is why it was suggested to check over the cruise line's list of excursions they offer on your particular cruise. That will let you know what will be offered. Then you can check if you wish to book any of those tours independently.

Edited: 14 August 2018, 15:53
Reply to: Holland america cruise excursions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted