We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glacier with little kids?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jbsmomi
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
glacier with little kids?

Are there short treks to glaciers so the little kids don't have to hike too far?

Also, any fishing trips that are just a few hours?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: glacier with little kids?

Where abouts are you going to be in Alaska Jbsmomi? Portage Glacier is probably the most visited glacier and it's not far from Anchorage, if that's where you're going to be. You can take the boat ride that takes you near the glacier, so essentially there's no walking at all really.

In regards to fishing, what type of fishing are you talking about? Salmon? Halibut? You can get 1/2 day halibut charters out of Seward or Homer. I don't know if you're looking to spend that much time on a boat, but they're well worth it if you're looking to do some halibut fishing.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: glacier with little kids?

Sorry Jbsmomi, I see that you will be in Juneau. Sorry about that, I'm new to the site and just getting used to the way the posts are all grouped together in the Alaska forum. Enjoy your trip to Juneau!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: glacier with little kids?

Yes on both accounts. Mendenhall Glacier has several short "nature trails" that you'll want to walk for good photos anyway. My 4 y/o loves climbing on the rocks out there...

The vast majority of fishing trips in Juneau are run as a 3-4 hour salmon trip. There are a few boats (very few) that are known for being "family friendly" with small life jackets, games, coloring books, movies, etc. for the little ones when time drags long.

Just remember, with a shorter fishing trip come shorter results. While the travel-brochure images of fish literally jumping in the boat 30 at a time CAN happen, it's rare. If you want to better your odds at catching a fish, you need to have patience and put in the time. Also, choose carefully when deciding whether to private charter, or share a trip with others. Imagine a shared trip where Mr. Macho Sportsman wants to catch the first King Salmon...and it's the only fish caught in 4 hours. How does the little one feel when the dude who paid just as much drew the lucky straw? I always try to position my kids to do most of the fish catching, and it always seems the littlest kid catches the biggest fish and has the most fun...

Lastly, if any of the better captains know kids are coming, they'll be better prepared with the mind-set of entertaining kids vs. just catching fish. Note, however, that it's not a baby-sitting service. I know several boats that don't allow children at all, while others require 1 responsible adult PER child. (I remember having a nanny and 5 kids on board my boat once...)

-Case

4. Re: glacier with little kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:18