We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

I'm looking for a hotel that is within walking distance to the waterfront (possible near the ferry terminal).

Any suggestions?

Also:... how easy is it to get to Mendenhall Glacier by bus from downtown?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

The public bus only goes to about 1 mile from the Mendenhall visitor center. You need to take the special Mendenhall buses to get dropped off at the visitor center.

I am not familiar enough with Juneau to know which if any hotels are near the ferry terminal - I don't recall seeing any out there when I was there last summer. Actually as I type this I am back in Juneau now for 10 hours (overnight en route to Haines). But no time to check for you :-)

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

The "special Mendenhall buses" only run during cruise season. Otherwise, fti is right... city bus stop is just over 1m from the visitor center at the Glacier. Try your hotel's courtesy van (if they have one) and see if they can drop you for an hour while they run other errands. Either that, or take a taxi. From downtown, a taxi ride will be more than $30 each way, but if you're in one of the "valley" hotels, it shouldn't be more than $5 or $10 (or $15 or $20....)

There aren't any hotels near the ferry terminal. Closest you MIGHT find is a B&B or room for rent in someone's home out that way, but I can't think of any. Nearest actual hotel will be about 5-6 miles in toward town in "the Valley"... that's "Mendenhall Valley" for tourists. There's a Super-8, 2 Best Western's, TraveLodge, Extended Stay Deluxe (walking distance to the airport - even with bags) and too many B&Bs to list....

Now... when you say "the waterfront" where exactly do you want to be? I'm going to guess that's downtown, which is another 9 or so miles. There are many hotels within walking distance of the waterfront - Goldbelt, Baranof, Silverbow....

What's the nature and time of your trip? That would help get things focused.

-Case

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

John,

Thanks for the info! You are heading to Haines? I'm jealous! That's only my FAVORITE place in the world! My husband and I are going back to Haines in August of 2008. We'll fly into Juneau and then have to take the ferry.

Have fun in Haines!

Julie

See my Alaska photos at:

www.ThompsonTravel.phanfare.com

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

CanCanCase,

We will just be in Juneau the day we arrive (1/2 day) plus 1 full day. We are both photographers so we'd like to see Mendenhall Glacier . I though it might be nice to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance to the waterfront (maybe near where the ships come in) so I'm looking for suggestions but I was also considering one of the Best Western hotels even though they aren't downtown.

Do you think it's best to rent a car? We'd also probably like to take the tram so we can take photos from up on top looking down on Juneau.

Also... I'm looking for a suggestion on which trails would be the best for photo opportunities.

Thanks!

Julie

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

Some say a rental car is a must since everything is spread out, and some have managed to string together enough excursions that include ground transportation to not need a rental.

For the money and what you get, I'd skip the downtown hotels (unless you find a great Priceline deal or something) and go with something simple in the Valley. Of the 2 Best Westerns, I'd probably give an edge to Grandma's Featherbed for a bit of charm and personality. The other one is a nice, but standard, chain hotel.

For trails, my favorites are the Granite falls hike up Mt. Juneau, Mt. Roberts (hike UP and tram DOWN if you're short on time), and the Dan Moller Cabin trail over on Douglas. There's also the Pt. Bishop trail at the south end of the road that's often overlooked (but ends on a fantastic beach where you can watch the commercial fishermen and 1 charter boat (mine) fishing most days.)

My opinion of Mendenhall Glacier is that it's a bit "developed" and "canned", but it's a nice alternative if you've done Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay and don't have time for a flight-seeing tour. It's famous for the fact that you can drive very near to the face... a feature most glaciers in existence today cannot claim.

If you're photo-touring, I'd suggest a helicopter, bear-viewing trip and either some fishing/whale watching or a Tracy Arm tour for great scenery that you can't get anywhere else... then again, that's an awful lot for 1.5 days.... hmmm... decisions, decisions!

-Case

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

"Thanks for the info! You are heading to Haines? I'm jealous! That's only my FAVORITE place in the world! My husband and I are going back to Haines in August of 2008. We'll fly into Juneau and then have to take the ferry. "

I had a great time in Haines. Actually spent an extra 24 hours in Juneau due to fog last Thursday. Not even the full-size Alaska Air jets were landing, not to mention our single prop plane! Next time I will try to plan my Haines trip around the ferry but that is tough - I usually use frequent flyer miles for the flights and book 6-11 months in advance when the ferry schedules are not yet published for the next season. Oh well.

I really enjoyed Haines and the bald eagle festival. Took tons of photos.

John

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

Carmen

If you want to stay downtown, you might want to try the Prospector.......nice clean motel with good restaurant, next door to the state museum and near the cruise ship docks........the higher floors have a view of the water across the highway, but then you have a little traffic noise.........

Our favorite place to stay in the airport area is either Grandma's Featherbed or the Best Western.......

Note to John :

Looking forward to reading your trip report......we just got back to Haines and missed the Eagle Festival this year.......

Los Angeles
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

mombear, do you have their phone number?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

Cruisebird

This website will have the phone numbers and any information that you may need

traveljuneau.com/planner/…index.cfm

10. Re: Hotel near waterfront? Also...Mendenhall question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:18