We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floatplane in Juneau

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Floatplane in Juneau

Has anyone been on the floatplane trip to Taku Lodge for salmon feast? How crowded is it at Taku Lodge? Are there any other floatplane trips you would recommend?

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Floatplane in Juneau

I have taken the tour and it was the highlight of the trip to Juneau, I think they limit the amount of people that they can handle. The lodge was full but they had a few empty seats. Food was great and the view was super. You fly over the glacier before you land at the lodge. You have some time to walk around the lodge area before the flight back to Juneau. Highly recommended

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floatplane in Juneau

I haven't taken the trip to Taku Lodge, but I've sure heard lots of rave reviews about it. We couldn't work it into our Juneau schedule - more interested in whale watching and glacier helicopter landing there! But the highlight of our 3 weeks in AK (1 week cruise, 2 weeks RV'ing in the interior) was a floatplane trip with Michelle of Island Wings in Ketchikan. If you're going to Ketchikan, this should NOT be missed!! The beauty can NOT be described!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Floatplane in Juneau

It's the highlight of most folks' trips. I've been several times over the years - about every-other year - through 2 different owners. Things were a bit more "leisurely" when the Maas family owned the lodge, but Wings of Alaska does a great job now.

Bottom line: ANY flight time you can get in SE Alaska is good. Heck, I went on a 10-minute helicopter flight over my house the week before Christmas, and it was the highlight of my family's holiday!

As for other float-plane trips, Butch at Alaska Fly & Fish has some neat trips. You can fish a remote lake for giant trout, or he can fly you down to Pack Creek for bear viewing in the sanctuary (depending on what time of year you're visiting.)

Have fun!

-Case

4. Re: Floatplane in Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 10:19