We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Sent e-mails to at least 9 B&B's in Juneau. Not even one answered. Is this a normal thing for Juneau? Got answers from B&B's in Haines, Ketchikan and Gustavus.

Recommendations where to stay for 3 nights from August 2nd? Best Western maybe if there is no B&B in Juneau which answers e-mails?

Need generous cancellation policy. May have to cancel if my SO has to go through another medical procedure. I need to find something where I can cancel up to 2 weeks before arrival. I like Wolf Lodge but they have non-refundable deposit of one night.

Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Can't help you with the B&B's but have had the same experience trying to book tours in Juneau. Sent several emails over 7-10 days to different companies and received only one reply. Perhaps Juneau is closed for the winter!!!! Had no problems with Ketchikan and Skagway, replies and tours booked within 2 days.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

I know the owner of the Alaska Wolf Lodge... he's a good friend of mine. With such a short "busy season", I don't know of ANY B&B that will have a generous cancellation policy as you're looking for. Once you cancel a few days or weeks ahead, the B&B is stuck with one or more un-rented rooms for that time period. Since so many folks make their plans far in advance, the chances of filling that room are next to none.

About the only place I would imagine you will find such a policy is at a higher volume hotel... Best Western, Super 8, TraveLodge, etc.

Another alternative... have you considered trip insurance? There are a number of good companies out there that will "insure" your trip such that if anything happens and you're not able to go, the cancellation fees will be paid for, etc... Other than the trip I'm taking on free miles and comp tickets with my family this weekend, I never travel without insurance.

As for many places not answering eMails in Juneau... I try to answer mail and post here just about every day until April. Not all business owners have the luxury of so much spare time that I have! Many (dare I say most?) take vacations from Juneau during October-March... when the weather typically is the worst.

Another thing to check is your SPAM filter, either in your eMail program or with your ISP. I've had hundreds of customer inquiries that are answered in a matter of minutes or hours, but sit in someone's "bulk mail" or "deleted spam" folders for days or months before they find them. If you're really after immediate confirmation (a good idea this time of year!) the phone is probably your best bet. Take the time and read an establishment's website or brochures well, then call with any questions. Most smaller businesses will either carry a mobile phone as their primary phone here, or forward their main office phone to their cell. (Hint: Often, calling from your mobile phone is free or included in your monthly minutes... Alaska IS part of the US, and now that we've got AT&T coverage, free Mobile to Mobile calls are a great way to save a long distance toll.) Just remember that Alaska is in the Alaska Time Zone... 1 hour behind US West Coast, and 4 hours behind US Eastern time...

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Thanks, this is helpful

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Hi Birds

Check out Grandma's Feather Bed.....they are operated by the Best Western......and last I checked, they had a 24-hour cancellation policy....

Not really a B & B, but very comfortable, Victorian style house, private bathrooms (some with jacuzzi tubs) and a full breakfast....they also use the Best Western shuttle so you would have complimentary transportation to the Ferry or the airport......

Keeping warm Case ?....Man, this winter has been one for the books !! No wonder the B&B owners and anyone else would choose to travel to warmer climes......

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

Hello mombear, after reading your message I made reservation at the best western. Thank you for your help.

I understand cancellation policy 30 or 60 days in advance especially in small establishments and I am all for it but the Wolf Lodge has a nonrefundable 1 night deposit. If I make reservation today and pay $200.00 deposit then if I need to cancel for whatever reason next week my deposit is lost. 6-7 months before arrival. I think that wouldn't work for many visitors, mostly those who read cancellation policies.

6. Re: No answers from B&B's in Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 14:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question