We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hawaii
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

This is our first cruise and our first time to Alaska. We would love to do a dog sled tour. We will be cruising on the Radiance Of The Seas in the middle of May. Which shore excursion should we go with? Is it safe to go with an independant company?

If so which one? And how do I begin organizing it?

Thank you so much for your help!

Gina

jenette
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

Yes, it is totally safe and better to do an independant tour - which towns are you stopping in?

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

Juneau and Skagway are your only options for ports in which to do a helicopter dog-sled excursion.

In Juneau, Temsco, ERA and Coastal Helicopters are your 3 choices, and yes, they're all perfectly safe... Temsco and ERA are the main ship contractors, with Coastal picking up all the independent tours it can.

In Skagway, it's the same ice field as in Juneau, just a bit farther north. I believe Temsco is the only company operating a dog camp out of Skagway, so that's your only choice there...

Book it in the port that it fits your schedule best. Also, if you're choosing between tours in Juneau, look at the flight time (that's the bulk of the expense), time on the snow/ice, time with the dogs, and THEN look at cost... you'll often find several tours with dramatically different prices, but one will feature much more air time than another. More is always better, but I know it gets spendy, so do what you can or want to afford.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

There is also Godwin Glacier in Seward that I highly recommend. The pic is of my daughter and I up there. http://www.alaskadogsled.com

They also operate in Juneau.

4. Re: Another Dog Sled Tour Question(s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:28