We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing advise for small ship cruise

Coatesville
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Clothing advise for small ship cruise

We will be going on a small ship cruise in mid-May. I have a friend who has done the same trip and she strongly recommends taking a winter weight jacket. I would rather not and just take clothes to layer. Any suggestions from people who've done this. Is my friend right?

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing advise for small ship cruise

Layers are the way to go up here, but also, it helps to remember that a "winter weight coat" will vary quite a bit depending where you're from. My "winter weight coat" from Florida is my summer windbreaker here in Alaska!

No, you won't need a 200 gram Thinsulate getup, unless you're REALLY sensitive to cold and are planning many glacier excursions. In my neck of the woods, dry=warm. Stay dry and you'll do well. Besides, you can always buy sweatshirts to layer in all of the hundreds of t-shirt shops you'll encounter in each port! ;-)

-Case

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing advise for small ship cruise

I'd suggest, if you have one, an "interchange" jacket. These have a zip out fleece lining which can be worn as a jacket, as can the outer "shell" which will hopefully be at least semi-waterproof (rainforest, rains a lot). I have one of these now, wished I'd had it then.

If not, a fleece jacket and a waterproof jacket that will fit over the top of the fleece (I have a waterproof/breathable that stuffs into it's pocket by Marmot, it's called "Precip", squashes great in my backpack).

DON'T FORGET HAT AND GLOVES, VERY IMPORTANT FOR WHEN CRUISING BY GLACIERS,IT WILL BE VERY COLD THAT DAY. I figured in July/August I wouldn't need them, a fellow traveller loaned me his gloves while we sat on deck all day taking pictures of the glaciers.

Lightweight fleece 1/4 zip tops are great for daytime outside in town.

Have fun!

Beth

3. Re: Clothing advise for small ship cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 03:17