We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Juneau

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Safety Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing in Juneau

Unfortunately our cruise ship will be arriving too late in the day (2:00pm) for a morning charter. Are there any opportunities for fishing. The boat will leave at 10:30pm with or without me.

While I would love to for Halibut, Salmon would be a great second choice.

Larry

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Hi Larry!

Juneau is known for our great salmon fishing. We've got one of the largest salmon hatchery programs in the state running here, and even when the wild stocks are down, we have great King, Coho, Keta and Pink salmon fishing.

Half-day charters are very common, and morning or afternoon really doesn't matter. Our fish don't wear watches, but rather come and go on the tide... a good guide can get you on the fish 80-90% of the time, regardless of what time of day. A few of the smaller boats will take a charter with only 1 or 2 in your party, while most boats have a 3 or 4 guest minimum to guarantee your reservation. Some boats can be booked "whole boat" where it's just your party privately, and others book "shared charters" where the group is made up of several different parties. No fishing boat in SE Alaska can fish more than 6 anglers/lines at a time, so you won't find any large "head" or "party boats" here.

(Personally, I prefer to book a private charter vs. a shared excursion. Most boats in town (with a few notable exceptions) fish 4 lines at a time, and anglers will "rotate" catching... ie: you get the first fish, regardless of which line it's on... I get the second, and so on, as many times around as time or fish limits allow. My luck always has me drawing #5 or 6 on a day when 4 fish are caught all day... Oh well... that's why I have my own boat! ;-)

The most common half-day charter you'll find is sold as a 5-hour tour... be sure to ask how much time you spend on the water, as there is usually a 30 minute shuttle or taxi ride out to the harbors in Auke Bay; so a 5-hour tour will have you on the water for 4 hours, and usually fishing for 3 to 3.5 hours total. Obviously the more time you have lines in the water, the better the odds of catching fish. Some boats have taken to offering 5 or 6 hours on the water for their half-day trips as well... shop around! Price isn't always a sign of a great charter boat.

You'll need an Alaska Fishing License. This year, they run $20 for a 1-day non-resident license, and another $10 if you're targeting King Salmon. Any reputable boat will have licenses available for sale on board, but be sure to ask ahead of time. Most captains prefer cash for the sales since Fish & Game won't accept your check for payment. A very few charters are including the cost of the license in your tour price too... another "feature" to be sure to ask about.

If you're hungry, everyone in town offers lunch on 6-hour and longer charters. Otherwise, there are always plenty of "Alaskan Snacks" available, as well as water, sodas, coffee, etc. Some boats allow you to bring "adult beverages" in moderation, while others have a strict prohibition policy in effect... same with smoking policies.

If you want halibut, be sure to book a charter in either Sitka or Hoonah (Icy Strait Point.) For early season salmon, Ketchikan has a slight edge on Juneau, but we get the bigger runs of fish later into the season... I'm still fishing for coho in September and October when Ketchikan is pretty well done for the year.

I hope this is everything (and then some) you ever wanted to know about salmon fishing in Juneau. If any other questions pop up, please don't hesitate to post and ask!

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Re: Cancan...what about Salmon fishing in mid-August? Juneau or Ketchikan? Thanks!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Either town will have good fishing in august, but Juneau is known for some great late summer salmon fishing action. Do your research now and book ASAP as most of the reliable and honest operators in town aren't running this year.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Case, Thanks for the quick reply & heads up on booking!

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in Juneau

We too only have a brief stop in Juneau, and I would love to book a Salmon Charter for 4. The cruise ship prices are abit out of reach and thought maybe it would be cheaper to book locally. My dad is 84 and this would be a real thrill for him.

We will be there the first week of June.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Arriving Juneau on Rad of Seas on 31 Aug 09 would like to join a half day fishing trip only one person. Any recommendations too many choices !! Has anyone a short list.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in Juneau

If the cruise prices are "out of reach", you'll only find a very small monetary savings booking direct. I'm talking about maybe $20 pp difference once the ship's commissions are eliminated. The real "savings" is in terms of what you get for the same money. Most direct-booked tours give you more time on the water, better snacks, a more entertaining captain, etc. I've heard there is one 2-4-1 coupon in one of the books this year, but I've had a number of bad experiences with that boat and operation, so I can't recommend them unless price is the ONLY deciding factor.

As far as a "short list" of folks to try... easy! Wolverine Charters, Lost in Alaska Adventures, Hi-Time, and Three Eagle are all personal favorites - in no particular order.

Tight Lines and Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in Juneau

Thank you Case, Would prefer to support the local guys so will search the 'short-list' to see if there is room for one. Cheers!

9. Re: Fishing in Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 05:22