We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owings Mills, MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

I will be in Juneau from 11AM to 10:30PM for one day in Spetember (vai cruise). I am thinking that it is a good opportunity to do stuff on our own.

We will probably not do it all. So here is the plan in no particular order:

- Take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and wander

- Take bus to brewery, salmon farm, Glacier gardens

- Take Mt. Roberts Tram if weather is good (although this seems a bit pricey!)

My questions for you are:

1. Are all of these things doable in one day?

2. Seems like the latest thing is about 7:30 (Mendenhall is open until 7:30 and sun should be setting around this time, so it would be approx. last time for Mt. Roberts Tram), so what is there to do after 7:30?

3. Am I missing anything that I MUST see?

Owings Mills, MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

Sorry- one more question: If we go to Buchart Gardens in Victoria, is it worth going to Glacier Gardens in Juneau?

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

Its certainly doable all in one day - assuming you don't spend too much time at any one place. FYI - the tram is open til 9pm so I'd do that last - maybe try to catch the sunset from there. It is expensive but if you walk the trail, its sure pretty and you can't beat the view. Of course, it is weather dependent and it can be a bit rainy in September.

There are lots of things to see but if you're staying in town, I think that you've covered them. You might want to spend your last bit of time walking through downtown but rather than popping in all the gift shops, have a cold one at the historic Alaskan or join the locals at the Triangle.

About the gardens - I've been to Buchart and its different from Glacier Gardens. Its more like an English garden - flat with areas of roses, areas with water, etc. Glacier is in the middle of our rainforest so they've incorporated that into the gardens. So if you like gardens, I don't think you'll be disappointed doing both.

Enjoy your trip!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,134 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

I think I have read that the last blue MGT bus from Mendenhall leaves about 6:00 pm. Perhaps someone else might confirm this or otherwise advise.

4. Re: My Juneau Plans- Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 15:20