We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Does anyone have experience on the "Adventure Bound" tour to Tracy Arm Fjord, $140 per person, boarding 7:30 a.m. and returning 6 p.m. for whalewatching and seeing the glaciers?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

We went on this tour last month and loved it. It is not marketed as a whale watching tour, however, we did see some whales from the boat. It was a great tour. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to get into the fjord. Once there the scenery is breathtaking. We enjoyed it very much.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Thanks for your kind input. Been trying to decide if it's better to go on a larger boat such

as "Adventure Bound" or one of those

smaller private ones that aren't so crowded, all

while trying to maintain some sort of budget.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
68 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

We took the Adventure Bound tour last month, but went out on the second boat that departs 8:45am called the Captain Cook. It was one of the highlights of the 18 days we spent in Alaska! The crew is very professional and gives a wonderful commentary thoughout the long trip. Thank goodness their onboard staff is much better than the office staff was during the booking process!!

Though there were about 50 people onboard the boat, there was plenty of room on deck to see the beautiful sights of the fjord, and though at times it did get crowded outside if whales were spotted (we saw lots), in general people were thoughful and once they got their photo they moved aside for the next person to see. I was very pleased with how the trip was run and highly recommend that if you have time to take this in while in Juneau that you do it. Tracy Arm is BEAUTIFUL!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Actually, we were also on the later boat since our cruise ship was an hour late getting into port. I would think there wouldn't be much difference between the two, but I can't say for sure. As with the other poster it was the highlight of our 18 day trip to Alaska.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

We loved our trip with Adventure Bound. We had a great group, never felt crowded, and the captain let us stay with the whales we saw for as long as we wanted. We've got a photojournal of the trip posted at www.explorenorth.com/articles/tracy_arm.html

Murray

boston
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Sorry for stealing the thread, but can anyone comment whether this will feel similar to the Kenai Fjord trip we're taking on our way from Anchorage to Seward before joining our cruise?

It sounds like it might be similar. But if not, it sounds interesting for our group. We range from 'youthful' grandparents through young kids. The range means some of the more exciting adventure-ish options in Juneau don't work for us.

Thanks

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

It's a very different experience from Kenai Fjords - dramatically different scenery mainly, but really almost everything about it is unique.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
68 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

tunaBoston - as Yukon said, this is a totally different expereince than the Kenai Fjords trip. We did the 6 hr Kenai trip as well, which as another wonderful trip than I highly recommend. On the Kenai trip, you see alot more wildlife (we saw Dall porpoise, Stellar sea lions, seals, puffins and many other gorgeous birds, black bear, as well as many whales) in addition to the fabulous glaciers and scenery. If you can do both, you won't be dissapointed!

boston
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

Thanks so much. I viewed the photos you took -- appreciate you posting those as they helped me a great deal. Very dramatic.

Hadn't realized this tour was more about the glaciers & fjords, less about the wildlife. (I confess I hadn't done much research yet!) Really appreciate the info and insights. Many thanks.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm Fjord

You will still see wildlife from the Adventure Bound trip also, but it is not the main purpose of the trip.