We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruises

chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
cruises

We are in the planning stage of our first trip to Alaska. Any suggestions on which cruise line is the best? We do not typcally like very touristy activities and would like to do some interesting excursions. Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruises

Do you want to travel one-way or round trip? Do you have anything in particular that you want to see? "off the beaten path" cruise ports are Sitka and Icy Strait Point, definitely less touristy than the other typical cruise ports.

Some cruises go to Hubbard Glacier, others to Glacier Bay and others perhaps to another glacier (Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier?). Does one or another appeal more to you? Or do you even know? I loved Glacier Bay so much when I was on a cruise 2 years ago that I went back earlier this month independently and spent 3 days there. I was at Hubbard Glacier last year and we got close to the glacier but I enjoyed Glacier Bay more.

So much is subjective when it comes to cruises that there is no "right" answer.

John

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruises

Do you want excursions where you are riding a bus, where you are entertained, museums, outdoors, kayaking, hiking, etc.??? Need more info, please.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cruises

John-

"Off the beaten path" to me isn't exactly Sitka and Hoonah... Don't forget about the smaller ships and even some of the charter boats that "cruise" to places like Elfin Cove, Angoon, Baranof Hot Springs, Tenakee, Craig, Petersburg, Wrangell, 5-Finger Lighthouse, etc.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

4. Re: cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 04:18