We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

Has anyone taken the Tongass Wildlife Kayak trip through the Alaska Boat and Kayak Center? Our cruise ship will be in Juneau for 13 hours in June and I'm looking for a kayaking adventure either here in Juneau or in Ketchikan. Or would you advise to do the Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier tour in Juneau and save the kayaking for Ketchikan? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Juneau Tours
City Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Allen Marine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

This is who we went kayaking with in Ketchikan, had a wonderful trip...

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/index.html

Their trips are not in the harbor, they take you out in a little skiff, away from the congestion.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

If you are in Juneau long enough for the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm cruise, it is a great tour. Just be prepared for major hassles in dealing with their office. They lost my reservations 2-3 times, hassles of continually calling and Emailing to reconfirm, etc.

For the inept office staff alone I would probably never take that tour again. But if you know this ahead of time, are willing to bug them to death, and be sure to get your boarding passes mailed to you, you will be fine.

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

For a 13-hour port time in Juneau, I would be SURE to find a Tracy Arm tour. The kayak trip you're speaking of (if I'm thinking of the correct tour) is a harbor tour in and around Auke Bay. Not the most exciting of areas, unless something unusual is going on that day.

Any kayak tour that takes you off the beaten path in a larger boat and THEN launches would be my suggestion to fill the kayaking bug.

Tracy Arm is one of Juneau's not-to-be-missed tours if the logistics work out. fti's comments about Adventure Bound are but one of many similar experiences I've heard about or witnessed over the past 2 years. It doesn't seem there's much of another option this year, however, so with all of the booking hassles in mind, I'd still recommend the tour.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

4. Re: Tongass Wildlife Kayak or Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 00:17