We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Watching

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
105 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Watching

We are going to Alaska in May and one of our ports of call is Icy Strait Point. We prefer independent tours for the smaller, more personal experience. While I continue to research ideas on Cruise Critic, know there are lots of you reading these forums as well.

Any recommendations for bear watching tours appreciated. How's May for spotting them?

thanks a lot!

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Watching

You're too early for bears

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,104 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Watching

Bears are occasionally spotted in May but it is more by chance. If it were me in Icy Strait Point, I would take a whale watch tour. 100% chance of seeing humpbacks and people come from all over the world to see whales in that area. I would use FISHES.

For bears, keep your eyes open in Juneau (they have been near Mendenhall in the past) or in Skagway be aware on the drive to Emerald Lake. Both are just chance sightings but better chances than some other places.

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Watching

May is way too early for planned sightings - for good bear viewing you need lots of salmon in the rivers and streams... this usually happens in July and August when the pink and keta salmon run.

May, however, is prime bear hunting season because the animals are just out of winter dens, and their hides aren't rubbed and scraped up yet. Bear hunting, however, is a bit of a different proposition than bear viewing!

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Watching

Will you be stopping in Skagway? We went on a bus tour into the Yukon Territory and saw three black bears along the way, one literally right ON the road (eating roadkill, yuck!), two right beside the road eating dandelions. The bus stopped quite a while so we could watch and take pictures, from the bus of course. The bears were quite unconcerned with our presence. This was in late May.

Level Contributor
105 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Watching

Thanks all for the information so far.

We are doing whale watching in Juneau and doing White Pass Railroad in Skagway so were looking for something else to do in Icy Strait Point.

I know there are no guarantees and thanks but not interested in bear hunting (hey I grew up in Brooklyn! LOL).

Any other advice is welcome.

Hoonah, AK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Watching

As others have said bear viewing is not the best in May though there are occasional sightings.

There are several independentsin Hoonah.

I'm sure either Bob or Kieth will give you an excellent tour. Bob: http://forget-me-notoutfitters.com/ has lived in Hoonah 19 yrs and is an avid outdoorsman. Keith: http://www.teckkoutfitters.com/ is a life long residen of Hoonah.

Have a great Alaska visit.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,104 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Watching

See my post in the Icy Strait Point thread about my experience with one of the operators mentioned above.

John

8. Re: Bear Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 06:37