We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

FallenReign
2 posts
Save Topic
12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

My friends and I are leaving on our once-in-a-lifetime Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks (yeah!) We have planned out practically every moment of the trip, partly because we're each control freaks and love the planning part as much as the trip itself.

We've decided that for our stop in Juneau, we are going to plan on NOT having a plan! No shore excursion booked, no set itinerary...We just want to see the city and all it has to offer.

So I'm looking for ideas from locals and other cruisers...What should we make sure to see or do while we're there? (And how can we utilize public transportation - or our own two feet - to get there?) We want to see some local culture (like bars or people-watching) as much as we'd love to see the natural beauty there too.

Thanks for your help!!!

FallenReign
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

I suppose I should add that we are already familiar with the $14 round-trip shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier.

And the Mt. Robert's Tram if the weather is clear (will certainly be feasting on all-you-can-eat crab at the top if it is in season!)

Any other off-the-beaten-path suggestions?

Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

Mendenhall Glacier - Cheap cab ride & admission

Tracy's Arm Fjord

Perserverance Trail Hike

Red Dog Saloon (Tourist Trap), but you're a tourist

Whale Watching

Mt. Roberts Tramway

Alaskan Bar on Franklin St.

Downtown Juneau walking tour 1.5-2hrs

(Cruise Ship Terminal has a map)

Green Angel Gardens

Alaskan Brewery & Bottling Company (Free tastes)

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

The Alaska Museum is also worthwhile and only a short walk from where the cruise ships dock. Note, Tracy Arm is a all day thing. You leave in the morning and do not return until 5 or 6 depending on which company you use. It is very beautiful there though if you decide you want to do it.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
96 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

Robbie - could you comment on transportation to the places you listed from the Cruise Port - you note that the Mendenhall Glacier is a bus ride, I know the Alaska Museum is walkable, as is the Mt. Roberts Tram, but what about the others?

Very helpful list, btw! Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

Blue MGT shuttle bus costs $6.

Cab may be cheaper if you have enough people?

There are also Mendenhall Glacier TOUR buses that offer commentary and several interesting stops.

Both are purchased at the dock booths, with one area near the tram the other near the library, depending where your ship docks.

Don't take the CITY bus, its only stop is still 1.5 miles from the glacier.

6. Re: 12 hours in Juneau without a plan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2009, 05:19