We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in Juneau for 9 months

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
305 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
living in Juneau for 9 months

Everyone has always been so helpful in my trip planning on this site, that I thought to seek it's advise for a move. Truth is, my friend is moving to Juneau for 9 months to teach, and will be a single woman traveling and living alone. I've been helping here with some concerns, but googling has not been helpful with her 2 biggest concerns---that's were you guys come in.

She has a 4 wheel drive car/suv does she still need chains?

Will she need to plug in her car at night? If so, is there something she can buy after market to do the trick?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,610 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: living in Juneau for 9 months

Juneau isn't a terribly cold place - if someone from the SE doesn't reply, then I would send a PM to Mombear who lives in the SE (Haines) to see what they have on their vehicles. We have to have block heaters, battery and oil pan warmers to keep our cars running, but I live where it is frequently -40 to -50+ in the winter. So yes, our vehicles are plugged in. Juneau is a much more temperate climate (rainforest) so while they do get snow, they don't get bitterly cold temps. If she did need those installed in her car, pretty much any auto repair place can do that when she gets here.

I have never needed chains, but she might want to put studded snow tires on her car - but again, check with someone in the SE. Hope she enjoys her time in Juneau! :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living in Juneau for 9 months

I've never used chains nor plugged in a block heater and have driven many winters without studded tires or having a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It's usually much milder near the ocean, though there can be huge snowfalls so that's when having 4 wheel drive is great. Ice is a common problem with the best advice is to slow down. I'm sure she'll be just fine.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
305 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in Juneau for 9 months

Thanks so much for the info that I can pass along. I think shee'll be happy about what you both said since all of the extras required putting out some money that she doesn't have at the moment. Thanks again for your fast response.

4. Re: living in Juneau for 9 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 06:19