We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

I've heard that one can buy those carved eggs from Russia in Juneau. Do you recommend that? I know those wouldn't be made in Alaska so I would like other recommendations of things to buy that are specific to Alaska.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

I guess I just don't get it. How can I (or anyone else) recommend what souvenirs one should buy? One person's treasure is another's trash. Not to mention budgets would come into play in a significant way when buying stuff.

Edited: 20 June 2010, 02:35
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

How true, Von. I rarely buy souvenirs. Occasionally I will buy a windchime to add to my relatively small collection. Or I will just make an enlargement of a nice photo that I took.

So if you want one of those, I can recommend that. Otherwise, I am lost too:-)

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Ok, I'll bite. Heritage Coffee, Alaska Brewing Company beer, and Rie Munoz art prints are three things that come to mind when I think Juneau. There are also some very talented soap makers in Juneau... Glacier Smoothies, Homesteaders Cache and Alaska Soap and Candle Company among others. Several fine jewelery makers and pottery people around. Check out Annie Kail's Gallery downtown for the finest in Alaska made gifts. I also like the handcrafted items at a little shop in the Airport shopping center...can't think of the name...but anyone can tell you where the center is and you can even walk there from the airport. I got a fabulous handwoven throw last time I was in town. The Friends of the Juneau library also run a gigantic used bookstore there.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Here is a thread that has more ideas: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k24590…

Look for a stamp or mark on the bottom of the item to ensure it is made in Alaska and not in Taiwan, etc. Most of the items you'll find in the tourist shops near the docks are not made in Alaska....

As for the carved egg, what difference does it make where it's made? If you find one you like, buy it.

Michigan
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Juneau would be a great area for Alaskan made totem's...look great on a fireplace mantel. Hand carved moose, bear, etc are nice to have but pricey. Ulu knives are always cool because you can actually use them as well as display them.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Don't forget to put that ulu in your checked baggage!!!

We also enjoyed the soaps, got a bunch of them for the ladies at the office...

http://glaciersmoothie.com/

Another nice one is William Spear, very nice enameled pins and zipper pulls...

http://wmspear.com/

We have Rie Munoz print that we bought in Sitka, brought it home and had it framed (they supplied a tube so it wouldn't get wrinkled), we love it!!!

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Thanks so much to those of you that gave ideas and links! That's exactly what I was looking for - unique suggestions to locate when time is short in port. I appreciate your advice!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

Juneau is a great place to buy local! There are some wonderful regional artists whose work you can find in local stores. From native art (try the small shop at the Sealaska Building, run by the Sealaska Native Corporation... and there are more around town) to paintings, jewelry, and pottery (Annie Kaill's, Juneau Artists' Gallery). The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council operates a small but very high-quality shop at their facility next to the AK State Museum, and also sponsors weekly artists' markets. And the state museum store has very high-quality souvenirs.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

One of my favorite Juneau "souvenirs" is a photo of the Gastineau Channel, complete with a cruise ship that adds a sense of scale, that I took after walking a ways up the path that begins at the top of the Mt Roberts Tram. Cost me next to nothing since I wanted to take the tram ride anyway -- and I had it framed locally when I got home....

10. Re: What souveniors do you recommend from Juneau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations