We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
5 posts
Save Topic
is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

If we catch samon and smoke it, is it possible to bring to the cruise ship, then to home?

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

It takes days or weeks to process and smoke fish. If you catch fish on a shore excursion, the charter company will arrange to have your fish shipped to your home after your cruise is over.

As for bringing purchases aboard, I'd suggest you ask the cruise line or your travel agent.

Happy Alaska travels!

- Case

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

Yes Madeline, we are currently smoking some of our salmon and it is quite a lengthy process......Dejon Delights here in Haines (and I think they have a shop in Skagway as well), cruise ship passengers can taste and buy smoked salmon......just make sure you have some way to keep it refrigerated onboard, if not, I would arrange to have it shipped home as Case suggests......

Just yesterday there was a ship (HAL) in town and I saw passengers buying 12-packs of sodas, chips, cookies, etc. so I am assuming they can take these things back onboard with them.....the only thing they will not let you take aboard is wine or liquor....they will "hold" it for you until the end of the cruise.......Enjoy your fishing trip !!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

I think the cruise ships allow wine and beer. As for the hard stuff they store it for you until the end of the cruise when you get off.

Speaking of smoked salmon. We had some a neighbor prepared a few months ago and it was still warm. Home made smoked salmon is great. He used his former outhouse which he converted to a smoker. My wife commented in an email about it and said she could smell it from our place. Did she mean the outhouse or smoker.

BTW there are still some Alaskans that still do not have running water (they don't have a well or delivered water).

Our well guy told us this.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

@k2iks- some cruise lines allow certain alcohol and some don't. As for the home made smoked salmon, just remember not to buy any of it as the sale of sport caught fish is quite illegal.

Many Alaskans don't have running water, but many of us newly transplanted Oregonians don't either!

Happy Alaska travels!

- Case

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

Just packaging ours up this morning for the freezer.....still warm after smoking overnight....yum.....will share some with a few friends and enjoy the rest next winter when salmon craving strikes......

k2iks, we have several areas around Haines that are not on the grid and have carry-in water.....some folks choose to live that lifestyle....in fact when the power line was extended down the road from town, several opted out of taking advantage of it......so refreshing to have a choice in this day and age !!

6. Re: is it possible to bring smoked samon to cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 14:36