We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

what will give us more exposure to the glacier formations?

1. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 21:53
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

I think it depends on when and what glacier you are talking about.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

I wonder if he is comparing Ward Air's tour versus the Temsco/Coastal Helicopter Mendenhall glacier landing....

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

Taking your title at face value, “ 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice ” .

If you land on the ice (or snow on ice as it is likely to be) they will be sure to land you on a safe area. They may rope you up and walk you over to a crevasse or other interesting glacier formation, but generally expect to spend the time on the biggest snow field you have ever seen. Line up your questions and list of "Want to Do" items and call the tour outfits you are considering. If they are hones they will list what they TRY to do, but won't guarantee everything. Safety and weather change and your experience will change to match Mother Nature's offerings.

2 Hour glacier hike... I would expect you to see a lot! then combined with the heli tour your should get an eagle eye view of crevasses (possibly including the ones you walked up to) the kettle lakes on the ice and other spectacular views.

My tendency would be to go with the latter (2 hour hike), but again, line up your questions and give the people a phone call this winter so you can make your best decision. How much time on the glacier? What features can you expect to see (read up on glaciers and their features so you can better understand what the guide will tell you). Perhaps do a google or yahoo search on glaciers and switch to "images" so you can see what different things are to be seen, then follow up with reading about what they are. Then talk to the guides about what they offer and what you wish to see and experience.

conn
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

on a two hour glacier hike you will spend most of you time on the approch to the glacer very little time on the ice helicoper tour you will spend all your time on the ice.

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

Hello from Seward! Just from another point of view from someone that is involved with the two options that you are discussing.

First the glacier landing (20min) is really a totally different expereince than that of the glacier hike. The landing occurs often on the upper snow covered areas of the glaciers where the helicopter can land in a level and stable position and also the landing zone is usually areas that are walkable without extra gear. The hike unlike the helicopter landing normally occurs in ice and crevasse areas that expose a much different world. The crevasse areas offer the very blue ice formations and tubes that have been created by flowing water which does occur in this environment. The ice hike will definitely be more adventurous, but with that said, each trip appeals to varying expectations! I hope this helps..Let your adventurous spirit be your guide!

Rick Adventure Sixty North Seward

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

I am the sort who likes to get up close and personal with the landscape, so I always like to opt for tours that include hikes. That said, in order to experience the scale and patterns of a glaciated landscape, it's best to see it from the air. If the hike includes a helicopter ride (as it appears to from your post title), it sounds like the best of both worlds.

8. Re: 2hr glacier hike/heli tour vs 20 min landing on the ice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations