We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundromats in Juneau

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Topic
Laundromats in Juneau

You'd think a local expert for a town would know, but even I'm having trouble finding a laundromat while we're here. There's the old WashBoard by the harbor downtown. The Maytag Laundromat between Teal's and Ron's is gutted and "closed until further notice." Are there any other laundromats in Juneau?

Oh, and whoever says these forums aren't an appropriate place to discuss laundromats can shove off (that's polite-speak for "bite me!") I'm a traveler in Juneau and need to do laundry. Very relevant!

Happy Alaska Travels!

- Case

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

Hey Case, glad to see you posting occasionally. Yes, laundry is actually a necessity of life (I should know, having packed for a 2-night trip to New Jersey and this is my fourth night due to the snowstorm!).

In any case, there is a Top Questions thread just about this issue that I started some time ago. To save you some time clicking through, here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/…22407447

The one on Mendenhall Mall Road is the one I just used last July. There is even a nice pizza place almost next door (two doors down I think). I wish I knew the name of the laundromat but it is easy to find. As if you were going to the glacier from downtown, turn right on the loop road then the first or second left and the laundromat is on that road on your left. Safeway is not too far and I think a Popeye's or some fast food chicken place is across the road (and across the relatively large parking lot).

John

Edited: 28 December 2010, 02:09
North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

Hi John!

Thanks for the link to the FAQ. The mat you're thinking of is the one I used when I lived here, and is also the one I mentioned being gutted and closed.

I ended up using the Wash oars downtown by the harbor. I guess this is as good a place as any for a review... Pros: semi-clean, attendant on duty, machines that worked worked well. Cons: many out of order machines, wash cycles took a LONG time, extremely limited selection of detergents and laundry products and EXPEN$$$IVE...!!!!

$3.00 for a single top loader isn't all that bad (going rate is $2.00-$2.50 all up and down the coast) but $.50 for 2 minutes in a dryer???

Showers were the worst of any harbor in SouthEast, and if I'd had more than a small load to wash I would have had trouble finding a machine that wasn't broken.

I talked to the attendant who mentioned that the prices went up shortly after the laundromat in the valley closed. I guess like anything else in Juneau (Alaska Airlines, I'm looking at you!) a business can charge exhorbitantly (sp?) when you have a monopoly.

I guess in the interest of full disclosure I should mention that I operate a few laundromats in another part of the country. Being from Juneau, it's just upsetting to see how fast things are deteriorating in this town.

- Case

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

Aside from the laundry fiasco, I hope you are enjoying your stay in Juneau, Case.......Wanted to mention to other folks who may be planning a trip to Juneau that there are several motels that have coin-op laundries.......The Best Western, Super 8, Frontier Syuites and Extended Stay, maybe a few others.......

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

I think you are talking about the laundry mat in the Mendenhall Mall plaza, right? I have heard of at least TWO downtown as most of my friends don't have washers or dryers in their apartments/homes downtown.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

Diver-

Mind digging a bit? All I can find is the Wash Tub by the harbor downtown. I'll go check by the Tesoro at Mendenhall Mall Plaza now, and scope out Auke Bay. If there are other options in town, I'd sure like to find them as I'll have one more load to do before heading back to OR.

Mombear- yeah, aside fromthe laundry situation Juneau is good. I can't tell if the declines I'm observing I. Town are a result of politics and the economy or if I'm just getting used to the real world and losing track of the "Alaskan way"...

Overall it's been a relaxing week with family. At first it was odd that I hadn't run into anyone I know, but I think most folks are holed up with family for the holidays. Definately more folks ooot and aboot during the week.

- Case

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

the store by the Tesoro in the valley is a dry cleaner. for some reason I keep thinking there is one over by Frontier Suites (in that mess of buildings). I've mentioned a downtown laundrymat to everyone here @ work (SOB) and so far almost everyone lives in Douglas or the valley & has their own washer/dryer.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

looks like there is one between the bar and superbear at mendenhall mall

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

The one between the bar and Superbear is the Maytag Laundry that I used to use when I lived here. It is also currently gutted with nary a washer or dryer in the place. There is one coin changer and one vending machine left, along with the hot water heaters and boilers that provide water to GW Teals and the laundry. I toured the space today but could not wash due to lack of equipment. The equipment appears to be in the auto-body shop across the street by Tesoro, but that's a different story!

Now I'm wondering if the landlord would get reasonable about rent so I could put a new Express laundromat in...it seems there isn't another laundromat within 5 or 10 miles.

- Case

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

can't you call information and ask for a commercial listing ??

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laundromats in Juneau

.. go to Frontier Suites hotel, 3rd building (the one by Grandma's Bed & Breakfast) - ask for Kay. See if she will let you use the washers & dryers up on the 3rd floor :)

Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations