We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day car rental in Juneau

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
713 posts
578 reviews
Save Topic
One Day car rental in Juneau

Having read several postings in the Forum, we like the idea of renting a car for the day when we visit Juneau in early June.

Rent A Wreck is mentioned as being the only company who will provide a rental car at the dock and I have sent them an email to ask for a quote.

Can anyone please tell me if the office will be open at this time of year? I haven't received any response I have sent a second email to Rent A Wreck HQ in Alaska and they haven't replied either.

Maybe I'm making an enquiry too early.?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

As the cruise ships begin to do their thing the latter part of May I'm sure they will be open in June. In my opinion I would research to see what you want to see in Juneau that you will need a car for.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

Rent a Wreck is an all-year company, not dependent on the cruise ships......if you are having trouble e-mailing them, they may be on vacation themselves......February is a month that most Alaskans really want to be somewhere else.......give them a call at the toll free number on their website.....

rentawreck.com/cheap-car-rental-juneau-AK.ht…

This rental company is often recommended to cruise ship travelers, because it is the only one that will pick you up at the docks.....all others are located at the airport which is a 7 mile taxi cab drive from the docks, so more expensive......

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
713 posts
578 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

Thanks K2iks.

I've been reading postings in the forum and have come to the conclusion that a rental car gives us the best flexibility, especially if we are unlucky with the weather. And we do like to get away from the crowds where we can.

I realise that some of what we plan can be reached by bus, but not all.

Here are the things we mights cover, if there's enough time:

Drive out to Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of St. therese, Last Chance Mining district and Douglas Island / Treadwell Mining ruins. I haven't worked out the best route / order in which to visit those places yet.

I reckon I need to just sit tight and contact Rent A Wreck later.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

There's a chance that only the owner (Konnie) may be out on vacation and she may have the only access to e-mail. If you call the office direct they'll be able to help. They are open from 8:30AM - 5:00PM Alaska time.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
713 posts
578 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

Thanks that's a good idea - will call them later

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

I will also be in Juneau in early June. I talked to Connie on Feb 26 at 907-789-4111, and booked a rental car from her. She was very pleasant. Give her a call.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

Yes they say they will pick you up - even at the airport! - and their website (www.Juneaucarrentals.com) announces that b/c they don't have to pay airport fees, they are the least expensive. My efforts with them however led me to conclude that they do not necessarily pass those savings on to you the consumer - their prices are very close to the-same-as airport prices, from what I could gather. Nevertheless, I did make a reservation with them.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

Even if the rental prices were exactly the same at the airport, if someone is at the cruise ship dock they would need to take a taxi 7 miles to the airport to pick up their rental car, and then another taxi back to the cruise ship dock after returning the car.........

Apples and Oranges, Plecostomus........

San Diego
Level Contributor
127 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

We rented a car from Avis rental car on the A-J dock and they came and picked us up/ and returned us to the cruise ship dock. This was 7-29-2012 and the best way to do Juneau. The cost was $55 for the car all day with taxes. For 3 RT shuttles to the glacier would have been $48 alone. We got to go out to Perserverance Trail and hike, we got over to Alaska Brewery for a tour and plentiful samples, we went over to Douglas and did another hike, and got to the hatchery in addition to the glacier. We were back on ship for dinner.

If you have insurance and can drive this is what I would recommend.

San Diego
Level Contributor
127 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day car rental in Juneau

We rented a car from Avis rental car on the A-J dock and they came and picked us up/ and returned us to the cruise ship dock. This was 7-29-2012 and the best way to do Juneau. The cost was $55 for the car all day with taxes. For 3 RT shuttles to the glacier would have been $48 alone. We got to go out to Perserverance Trail and hike, we got over to Alaska Brewery for a tour and plentiful samples, we went over to Douglas and did another hike, and got to the hatchery in addition to the glacier. We were back on ship for dinner.

If you have insurance and can drive this is what I would recommend.