We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Juneau itinerary question

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Juneau itinerary question

Hubby & I arrive in Juneau with another couple on Wednesday 6/29/11 via Coral Princess...port time is 6:30am-4:00pm. Both of the guys don't want to take ERA helicopter flightseeing tour (with glacier landing) but us girls are booked for this...pick up time is 11:45am at Mt Roberts Tramway...tour ends at 2:00pm (I assume the drop off place is same as pick up).

Our husbands to want to see the Mendenhall glacier (via land) so this is our plan: arrange for taxi from dock to Mendenhall at 7:00am (as buses don't start till 8:00am). Hike to base of waterfall at glacier, then take bus back to our ERA pick up area.

Have we allowed ourselves enough time for this or am I being overly ambitious? We also want to take Mt Roberts tram after helicopter tour if we have time and it's a clear day. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Juneau itinerary question

Even during our worst traffic days, 25 minutes from the glacier to south downtown is realistic. the hike from the MG Visitors Center to the falls takes about 1/2 an hour, unless you are speed walking.

the Mt. Roberts tram runs every 15 minutes or so, I believe, so that shouldn't be a problem. Takes just under 5 minutes to get to the top.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Juneau itinerary question

Looks like the only complication is the timing of the return bus from the glacier. Just double-check that before you go. Otherwise, you should have time for a quick visit including a short hike.

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Juneau itinerary question

Nice to hear from two Juneau residents...both your comments have been helpful! I will definitely check the bus schedule times.

4. Re: Juneau itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations