We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

Hi,

My wife and I are taking a cruise in July on Radison Seven Seas. Part of the trip is one day (1 pm to 11 pm) in Junea. Does anyone have any "must see" sights?

I appeciate the help.

Mark

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

I haven't been to Juneau in many years, but there are several museums worth seeing and a meal at the Fiddlehead. :) One of our regular Alaska posters (1stimestar) went there recently, so you might search the forum and see what she suggests. Enjoy! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

Hmmm 10 hours? Ride the tram up the mountain. It looked really fun. Ride the bus out to Mendenhall Glacier. It's a short walk from the bus station 1/2-1 mile. Check out the capital (not real exciting). Museums. The Warf (an actual warf down by the water that has been enclosed and shops and resteraunts built in) is kind of interesting. The downtown area is fun to wonder through. It's really a very small town. Here is my trip report. It was a quick business trip so didn't get to do much sightseeing.

http://www.cloud9doula.com/Juneau06.htm

Have fun.

Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

We were there just a day as part of our cruise this past August, but we took two of our favorite excursions of the entire trip. In the morning, we went on a whale watching trip, then in the afternoon we took the bus (I think five bucks each way), to the Mendenhall glacier. Spent some time viewing the glacier and at the visitor center, but the best part was hiking the trails there.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

When we were in Juneau with RCCL last year, we went whale watching with Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises) , and booked a helicopter glacier hike with Northstar Trekking. Both excursions were among my faves for the entire trip.

Juneau, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

I suggest that you go fishing while in Juneau. You have plenty of time for a salmon fishing charter. Juneau is an excellent place to sport fish for King Salmon and Silver salmon!

Fish On!

Capt. Gus

Level Contributor
595 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions with only 10 hours in Junea?

I would definitely recommend whale watching with Captain Larry (ask to be on his boat). As someone else said, it's Orca Enterprises and it's a lot of fun. There are either morning or afternoon trips. You can take the tram up Mt. Roberts and there is hiking up there or you can hike down. There is also a restaurant up there and films to watch. It's actually worth the trip up there for the view. I have hiked up, but would only recommend you doing that if you are fit. The Alaska State Museum is also very interesting. You can easily walk there from the town center. You can also take the local bus to just drive around town (out to the valley) or stop at the Alaskan Brewing Company for a free tour and taste testing. Also Mendenhall Glacier is a good stop with easy hiking and there is a nice visitor center. There are tour buses that go out near where the cruise ships dock. Restaurants I recommend are either The Hangar or The Twisted Fish. Have a good trip. You will love Alaska.