We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmon Fishing

camarillo, ca
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Salmon Fishing

What is the best company to use for salmon fishing? (We'll be in Juneau in July for one day--from a cruise.)

Juneau, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salmon Fishing

www.aukebaysportfishing.com

South Bend
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Salmon Fishing

King Salmon http://kamped.com/king%20salmon.jpg

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salmon Fishing

You didn't mention whether you wanted to fish salmon in the saltwater ("deep sea sport fishing adventure" type... trolling from a boat) or if you wanted to fly fish, cast from shore, or even fish the freshwater lakes and streams that are all easily accessible from the Juneau road system.

A nearly complete listing of saltwater charter operators in Juneau can be found at www.traveljuneau.com

The link above for Auke Bay Sport Fishing is a bit of a biased suggestion! (It would be like me telling you to go with Alaskan Marine Adventures, and then not explaining that I work for Alaskan Marine Adventures... you can see the bias there.)

Since my expertise is with saltwater charters, I'll elaborate a bit. If you want to get on a boat and troll or mooch for salmon in Juneau, you've got a number of decisions to make. First, how long do you want to be on the water? Most charters offer 1/2, 3/4 and full day charters, and they all seem to be about the same price (at least as of last year.) Next, decide what the price does or does not include. For example, some of the higher-priced charters will include the cost of your fishing license ($30 per person last year) and others will require you to purchase one separately. Many boats depart from Auke Bay, which is about a 30-minute drive/ride from downtown Juneau. Is a shuttle ride included in the cost? It can be upwards of $60-$75 if you take a taxi. I do know of one operator who will pick you up very near the cruise ships (in the boat, not a car) and fish the very productive grounds south of town instead of hanging with the crowds out of Auke Bay.

Also, if safety is of concern, be sure to check up on the safety records of each boat you intend to charter. We're all legally required to be USCG licensed, first-aid/cpr trained, and have insurance. Many boats go above and beyond with a voluntary Coast Guard safety inspection program called the "5-Star". You guessed it... 5-Stars is the highest safety rating an un-inspected charter vessel can earn in Alaska... Take a peek at http://www.mxak.org/fivestar/5star.htm for more information on this program.

Lastly, it probably just comes down to the personality and service of the guide/captain you choose. You're going to be on a 20-40 foot boat with this person for a number of hours (on YOUR vacation) so it's probably best to choose - at least partially - based on a compatible personality... someone you can talk to via eMail or on the phone a few times and really get along well.

Sorry to make it so difficult... it's not really, I just like to be sure people make informed decisions...

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

4. Re: Salmon Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 04:16