We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

I learned the hard way that if you are on vacation, be careful when and where you spend your money. We stopped in Juneau as one of our port of calls while on an Alaskan cruise. I thought this was a reputable jewelery store when my husband purchased a somewhat pricey ring for me as an anniversary gift. Long story short- the ring fell apart within 48 hours and store owner refused to take any responsibility of how his staff mounted the stone into the setting. He will sell you anything he can, but once you walk out of his store, you will have no recourse if the item breaks, because he won't stand behind his goods.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

tripadvisor.com/…36069060

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

Looks like it's a shame you didn't take the advice offered you back in September.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

I guess the first clue would have been the word "International" in the store name hinting that it's not a local, longtime establishment. Aside from Tiffanys (I wish) the only two places I would purchase fine jewelry would be my hometown jeweler that's been around for three generations or Julie's here in Ketchikan with a similar history and reputation. I never understand why anyone would buy such a pricey item from a complete stranger in an arena known for scams....i.e.overnight businesses that follow cruise ships.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

You can get a replacement ring just like that when you visit the Bahamas on a Cruise.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

So sorry to hear about this. What a nice thing your husband was trying to do and to get ripped off is terrible. On another post someone mentioned sending a message to the Juneua Tourism Dept. He stated they did not have a BBB so thats the best someone can do. I think he is right on the money. At least let them know. Sorry, I cant give you the link. Maybe someone local can get it for you.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

I don't think we even have a year-round locally owned jewelry store here in town. I think everyone gets their stuff in Anchorage/Seattle or Freddy's. I'm sorry that happened to you and hope it doesn't negatively reflect your views on my community.

:(

-nate

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

Wait until you get home and then find a nice, local jeweller to re-set the stone for you. Most reputable local jewellers will re-set a stone quite inexpensively.

Your ring will look as lovely as when your husband gave it to you, I'm sure!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

did you contact your cruise line? as the cruise companies recommend Diamonds International they are supposed to back you if needed. My opinion would to purchase on the ship in their stores

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

never buy jewelry on an impulse far from home.

many of those fine establishments are directly connected to the cruise companies. perhaps you should explore a resolution with the assistance of the cruise line as they have a much louder voice than you do

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware if you shop at Jewelers International-Juneau Alaska

k2iks, the only reason a cruise line recommends Diamonds International is that they are PAID by Diamonds International to say that. It's pure extortion. Our longtime local jeweler cannot afford to be "Recommended" by the cruise ships that frequent our town nor can many of the other small, locally owned businesses. BTW, the jewelry crowd has a long history in Ketchikan of leaving town in a hurry without paying their rent, utilities or taxes. Our local municipality spends a lot of time and money chasing them all down.