We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside Passage weather

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Inside Passage weather

Been following the weather from Juneau to Ketchikan and it looks like it may hit the 50's in the next 10 days. Is it likely to be colder on the ferry than on land? Is it likely to continue raining through the end of May?

I have rain gear that I have worn at Brooks Camp on the Katmai Peninsula and while rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I'm wondering if I am going to need it for hikes, kayaking,and tours that I may take while in Juneau, Haines, Wrangell and Ketchikan in May? My trip is from May 10-May 25th, I have a rental car, and will want to be outside as much as possible.

Mentioned in this post
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside Passage weather

I always bring rain gear to Alaska regardless of when in the summer I go. Last May I was in Juneau and Yakutat right about this week last year and it was beautiful. But one never knows.

It will always feel colder on the ferry than on land because you will have the wind to deal with.

It can easily rain any day but it is not an all-day heavy rain.

Layers are always your key in Alaska, with the outer layer being waterproof. The only exception to that is winter visits when you want much heavier winter coats.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside Passage weather

it is definitely colder on the ferry. Even here in Seattle, riding around Puget Sound that's the case. Remember you're riding on water that causes hypothermia in under an hour so that creates a very cold wind. But if you wander around the decks you'll find a spot that's more sheltered from the wind.

It's been years since I took the ferry to Skagway but I spent my time outside, walking around the decks in order to view the sceney from every angle. (We also slept outside, in the solarum). There were plenty of good viewing areas inside but I just wanted to be out. It was cold though.

As for the weather forecast, even in Seattle you can't get an accurate 10 day forecast. The mountains and ocean create their own weather. Forecasts are pretty accurate 3 days out.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside Passage weather

Amen to everything above. Bring raingear, and lots of warm layers, including warm gloves and definitely a warm hat. You can survive here with less, even on the ferry (if you're inside) but if as you say you want to be outdoors as much as possible, be prepared.

That way if the weather is actually pretty good, you'll just be pleasantly surprised and the worst that will happen is you'll be mildly annoyed at the extra weight--rather than angry and regretful and cold because you aren't prepared!

toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside Passage weather

What is the weather like for the Inside Passage in Sepember?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside Passage weather

Anthrax, September is usually wetter and colder than in June or July......less daylight as well......do bring layers as suggested, it does get more chilly on the water.......

england
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside Passage weather

Hop to cruise th inside passage in July 2013 is ith sea very choppy at that tim of the month

england
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inside Passage weather

Hop to cruise th inside passage in July 2013 is ith sea very choppy at that tim of the month

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,223 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inside Passage weather

Once inside the Passage it is usually very calm as it is protected by the barrier of islands to the west from the open ocean. If you are sailing from Vancouver most of the route to the Passage is protected by Vancouver Island with only a short open water stretch across Queen Charlotte Sound, but if from Seattle you will be in open sea for the first 1.5 days as those cruises sail to the west of Vancouver Island. Who knows what the open ocean will deliver?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
england
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inside Passage weather

Thank you we are going from Vancouver

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inside Passage weather

The Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, does it go between Vancouver Island and mainland or on the outside of Vancouver Island?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada