We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

It seems like Juneau has so much activities and 1 day is not enough. As I'll be here for 1 day, my first time, stopping over with Millenium Cruises (about 12hrs docked) I was wandering if these could be done in a day or is it pushing it? Also as they both involve helicopter flights, will it be flying across the same area? I'm trying to make the most of my time and use it wisely. It would also be great to have some time to walk around town. Money is not an issue, just time limitation. Appreciate any feedback/advice.

• Dog Sledding & Glacier Adventure by Helicopter

(Which is better, Mendenhall or Norris glacier?)

AND

• Extended Helicopter 3hr Glacier Trek with NorthStar Trekking

(I like the sound of ice climbing and Above & Beyond sounds really awesome, but seems a bit long and I want to leave some time for other things)

Also, is there much to see in town? How much time would you need to get to/walk around town. Is the Mount Roberts Tramway something you must do?

Thanks heaps

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

Not sure about do-ability of both activities in one day (suspect it may be possible), but before I booked them both, I'd ask myself what I would do and how I would feel if all helicopter flights had to be cancelled that day due to weather? Would you be okay with that and finding something else to do at the last minute, or would you rather book one flight and one "something else" just in case...? Question that only you can answer, but flights do get cancelled when weather conditions get "iffy."

Whether or not Mount Roberts is a "must do" depends on your feelings about tramway rides and some great views of Juneau, Douglas Island and the Gastineau Channel. If you're at all physically fit, there is also some nice trail hiking from the top of the tramway -- in very short order you can get to a point where you no longer are aware of the city, the ships or other civilization!

If that sounds good, I'd say "Do it!" Have done it twice on consecutive visits to Juneau and would do it again in a heartbeat....but my tastes may be different than yours....

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

Whale watching is fantastic every time at least for us.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

I met a family on the tram one evening last summer who had in fact done all THREE of those things in one day (and dropped about $4000 doing it), so I know it can be done. But, they looked pretty ragged by that point.

I personally don't think dog sledding is all that much of a thrill, but then I grew up in Alaska and have been many times. Both tours will get you onto a glacier, so I guess part of me says do the one that includes an extra activity (i.e. dog sledding).

All of the glaciers around here stem from the Juneau Ice Field hemmed in by the local peaks. I don't want to say that they are all the same, but they are not significantly different in my experience. Ice is ice. Now, if it was a choice between a glacier and the ice fields, I'd say do the ice fields hands-down.

I buy an annual pass to the tram every year. I think it is worth it for the view and nice trails on top of the mountain. It is pleasant and low key. I'd recommend it. (In fact, I gave it 5 stars for TripAdvisor.)

Good luck!

4. Re: Dog Sledding PLUS Glacier Trek in ONE DAY? Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 10:15